Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Trees on GC

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keely

Keely Report 17 Sep 2003 12:46

Is it me or is the family tree on GC not very good!! for about half hour now i have been adding my mothers parents details in. For some reason it is not adding correctly. for example, i added my mums, dads name and now it is adding his name as her partner! maybe i am adding them wrongly but i dont think i am as i have gone over what i have been doing a number of times!! i dont think their system is very clear! is there a way of starting all over again?!

Paul

Paul Report 17 Sep 2003 12:50

To start over again - click on Delete Tree which is on the left hand side. I agree its quite easy to add the wrong relative. I think the software is fine - maybe you've made some mistakes. But don't worry, I am sure u will get used to it in time. Paul

Keely

Keely Report 17 Sep 2003 12:54

Thanks Paul! I dont know how i didnt see that on the left! I think I will start again, cause i think i did make a mistake! cheers!

Donald

Donald Report 17 Sep 2003 14:52

Hi Keely, I would reccomend that you get yourself a good family tree programme. I use Family Origins www.familyorigins.com. It wont let you make obvious mistakes like marrying somebody to there sister or grandparents. It will also flag doubtful connections plus many other error checking facilities. Once you have the tree created you can then upload it to GC using a GEDCOM file. GEDCOM is the standard format for transfering Family Tree information from on application to another. Regards Stuart Sutherland

Keely

Keely Report 17 Sep 2003 15:15

Thanks for your advice! I was just adding my family onto GC as I was bored at work!! I do have to buy a programme and was wondering which one is best with quite a few on the market! Im waiting for my nephew to set up the computer for me then I was going to look into programmes with more detail. As the computer is not set up at home the only chance I get to go on the internet etc. is at work!

Helen

Helen Report 17 Sep 2003 19:10

Keeley The LDS family search site (see links)has family tree software you can download for free. It's fairly basic but is simple to use. It's worth trying a freebie first, if you want something a bit more sophisticated later you can fork out the money then.

Keely

Keely Report 18 Sep 2003 11:05

Thanks Helen, Thats a good idea! As this can be quite an expensive hobbie, especially for someone quite new like myself! You got round the houses a bit before you find what your looking for! so it would be best to see what the databases do in general before forking out for one!