Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hiding Behind The Sofa

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 17 Sep 2003 22:23

Im having a terrible time trying to track down my family. I have found them on the 1881 census, but when it came to the 1901 census not a sign of them anywhere. The person Im looking for is James Henry Brownlow. He is my g grandad. He was born in 1870 and is on the 1881 census living quite happily with the rest of the family. He married in 1895 to Jane Schofield, and my grandad was born the following year. They went on to have 2 more boys. The only thing I can think of is that grandad was born a month after the wedding, and they hid behind the sofa when the census man called. They lived in Bolton Lancashire. Any ideas anyone? Maggie

Allie

Allie Report 17 Sep 2003 22:34

Margaret, I found several James Brownlows with the decoder. There is one who was born 1870 aged 31 in Bolton. Not sure if its him as he is listed as living with one year old son Alfred. His wife may have been away on census night. Allie.

Dave

Dave Report 17 Sep 2003 22:50

Hi Margaret, 1901 Decoder shows the following living in Bolton:- James age 31 b1870 Lane age 30 b1871 James age 5 b1896 Joseph age 3 b1898 Alfred age 1 b1900 I would think that this is yours and that Lane was wrongly transcribed and should have been Jane. The rest seems to tie in. Dave

Margaret

Margaret Report 18 Sep 2003 13:16

Hi, Many thanks, that is them. I have no idea why I couldnt find them, spent a fortune serching the 1901 census site. Now I can send off for James Henry's dads info as I have now tracked him down. Fingers crossed that Joseph, (James's dad) wife is the right one. Thanks again Maggie

Margaret

Margaret Report 18 Sep 2003 23:11

Help. I have paid to have a look at the census data, but I still cant find them on there. Where is this decoder??? Maggie

Crista

Crista Report 18 Sep 2003 23:29

Margaret, The census decoder can be found at: www.censusdecoder(.)com You will need to download the software in either 3 pieces or 1 big piece. Go here for the 1 big piece http://www.censusdecoder(.)com/1901FULLSETUP.EXE The 1901 Census Decoder will connect to the UK's Public Record Office 1901 census website and allow you to conduct the free searches normally used to find family members. More searches can be conducted and similarly extracted, until you have all the data you need. This could be all instances of a surname nationally or within a county or multiple surnames in a town, district or county etc. Conduct your search as normal and then click "Process Search" for each page of results. Click "Show Results" when finished and sort by personid. Sequential numbers indicate same family members. Crista