Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who Was Your Grannys Granny

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Sep 2003 10:08

Hi, No I'm not mad, I just got a book from the library with the above title and have only read a couple of pages but it seems quite helpful. I've only read a couple of pages so far, but I've read a little bit on changes of name. It says that as long as there is no intent to defraud and not for criminal intent, you can use whatever surname you choose, without going thru any formal change of name. Women often took their partners names to give the appearance of marraige or legitimacy for their children. Wealthier families occasionally changed their names by a private Act of Parliament which last happened in 1907. (This could explain why some of us find it impossible to find marriage certs although I don't know how common this was). However, just to give us a bit of hope, it appears some name changes were normally advertised in the London Gazette, but rarely. Before 1901 deed polls were entered in the Close Rolls of Chancery and from 1903 in the EnrolementBooks of the Supreme Court of Judicature. Any records are now at National Archives indexed from 1851 by previous name. An Index to Changes of Name 1760-1901 (WPW Phillimore and eA Fry) lists many formal changes of name. From 1914 all deed poll enrolments were advertised in the London Gazette. Between 1916 and 1971 some changes of name were referred to in newspapers, particularly The Times. Also names on birth certificates can be changed within 12 months of registration. Most of that is double dutch to me, but I'm sure theres more intelligent people out there who will make more of it. Hope it may help someone and I keep posting useless bits of info over the next month, just tell me to go away and keep quiet!!!

Meryl

Meryl Report 19 Sep 2003 10:14

Hi Sarah Don't go away! I find this very interesting as my Husbands Grandad changed his name or rather it was changed when he was a child. Look forward to the next bit of info. Thanks Meryl

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Sep 2003 10:31

Back again, theres not really much more on that subject I'm afraid but I don't know if you've heard of this website. http://prodigi.bl.uk/nlcat. It says copies of most national and local newspapers are available at the British Newspaper Library at Colindale, nw london and listed on above website. It does say you have more luck if you know the date and place of an event, so suppose it could be helpful if you knew a birth or marriage had took place but can't find a certificate, it could be shown in the local paper. Long shot but you never know!

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 19 Sep 2003 11:21

I know people who use a completely different name to the one they were born with. One of them is a friend of my brother. He wrote down his prefered name (he changed his first- and sur- names) on his school exam papers, and the school had to write to the exam board explaining who he really was and what the hell he was doing. Heck, I've worked my way through a fair few names. Kathryn, Kathleen, Helen, Sarah, Katrina ... talk about an identity crisis!

Janet

Janet Report 19 Sep 2003 16:16

According to a song I heard in a pub recently your Granny's Granny is someone you can't chuck off the bus! :) Janet