Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Age on Marriage Certificate - 'Minor'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 20 Sep 2003 11:06

I've just received a Marriage Certificate dated 1844. Both bride and groom are minors. What age would they be? I know I've seen the answer to this question before but cannot find it. Thanks Lynne

Janet

Janet Report 20 Sep 2003 12:10

I think in 1844 it was much lower than 21. I think possibly as low as 16, but they could still marry under that age with parental consent. Jan.

Lynne

Lynne Report 20 Sep 2003 13:06

Thanks for your responses, it looks like I'll just have to take pot luck when searching for their birth certs! Lynne

Paul

Paul Report 20 Sep 2003 13:16

Try looking for Baptism records. In most cases you may be able to cross reference this with the parent's names which would give you an advantage when applying for the Birth Cert