Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Haydon - Parr

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 20 Sep 2003 22:40

Can anyone find a reference to the marriage of a Catherine Parr (No, not the one in Kendal Castle) to Harold Haydon. I don't know what the the family research equivalent of miles is, but I must have done hundreds. I suspect it was sometime in the teens/twenties. I have searched from 1919 to 1921 on 1837 until I have gone cross-eyed, but to no avail. Someone please give me a route map, jump start, something please!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Paul

Paul

Paul Report 21 Sep 2003 01:28

Bumping this up the list to see if anyone can help Paul

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 21 Sep 2003 06:45

Hi Paul, The only way is to work your way backwards through the GRO index from the birth of the first child that you know about. I've had to do a 20 year search before I found one of "my" marriages - there aren't many short cuts in genealogy. If you are searching on line it may be cheaper to find a record office or library that has the GRO on fiche. Or to pay a researcher to search the registers at the FRC in London. Gwynne

Paul

Paul Report 21 Sep 2003 22:44

Tried a bit more of 1837, and as Fagin sang "I think I'd better think it out again" (with apologies) Paul

Janet

Janet Report 21 Sep 2003 22:54

Do you have an area for them? I just put Catherine Parr into BDM for marriages and quite a lot came up, but no result for the two names, so perhaps only the one name is listed - though these are between 1900 and 1910, so might be too early for you. If you have an area you might be able to narrow your search on the 1837. Jan.

Paul

Paul Report 21 Sep 2003 23:55

UPDATED - MISSED AN ITEM Thanks for looking Jan. I knew little about her, except dim memories from the past. I have been told that she was supposed to have:- 1. been a Milliner at one time (unconfirmed) 2. lived in a workhouse (as the daughter of one if the staff - unconfirmed) 3. lived in Litherland area, Liverpool around WW2, Soma Avenue (this I do confirm, I lived not that far from it as a child, more years ago than I care to think about) 4. married Harold Haydon, said to have worked in Lewis's store in Liverpool. 5. lived in North wales for a number of years (confirmed - house was called "Oaken Beams") 5. died in Kendal area (date escapes me, I was abroad in Forces for about 4 years at that time, had little contact with my family - personal) I will contact the Registrar in the Kendal area to see what I can find. Paul