Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Conundrum 3........... Riley's Revenge

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mystified

Mystified Report 23 Sep 2003 20:47

OK my theory but it is no way the definitive answer just wanted alternative ideas ie a bit of lateral thinking. Riley was born as Riley (although there may be evidence he was a Leonard or Lionel….and no he is not the Lionel C. Ferguson born in 1872) Somewhere along the line he and his brother(s) and sister end up in The Bradford Union Workhouse. There he is Riley. All other findings have him down as Riley inc. his marriage cert. Now bear in mind he was born in c1872, so when he reaches his 65th birthday and applies for his miner’s pension and state pension in 1937 he needs some form of ID like his birth cert. But he hasn’t got one. What does he do? He sends off for his cert. giving as much detail as he can remember from his early life. He believes he was born in Bradford around 1872. His application arrives and the clerk can’t find it, but he does notice that there is a Ripley Ferguson born around the same time. He duly sends this off believing it to be right, or a spelling mistake. Now Riley receives this and either thinks ‘after all these years I was a Ripley’ or realises the error but can’t be bothered to sort it out as it would delay his pension or whatever. He takes on the name Ripley for admin purposes. When he dies, his son or whoever registers the death as Ripley either because he thinks that is the correct name or being a true Yorkie thinks the state may claim all the money back. His wife Selina cannot be asked, as she died 10 years previously. What do you think? A wild assumption? Sensible? Thanks for the input and I hope it got the old grey matter working. If nothing else it’s caused some merriment and kept you on your toes. I have also enjoyed the answers. John

John

John Report 23 Sep 2003 20:50

You ought to write a book John.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 23 Sep 2003 21:55

Sorry John but..............it wont work!!! Your reply is far too sensible and thought out. I am surprised that you are a man of so little imagination. You have been presented with the outlines of some marvellous Booker Prize entries and what do you come up with? a 1800 DSS scam!!! shame on you. Rethink please - try to put a little more glamour in your ancestors life! Goodness knows they had little enough romance in those days, lets embroider the facts a little - I quite like the tale of the frog in pyjamas - or have I completely lost the plot??? Jacqui ps thanks for a lot of laffs this pm

Paul

Paul Report 23 Sep 2003 23:03

Hear, Hear, Theresa. I am chasing my wife's tree and there is a big dent in the wall next to the computer. Now as to if it is because I chase my own tail at times, or because contacts don't answer, thet is an entirely different story Paul