Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Silly Addresses

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 24 Sep 2003 06:11

Had lots of laughs reading the postings about silly ancestors names and couldn't help noticing one message with a rellie in Goosebutt Lane. Can anybody beat my Shrewsbury Morris ancestors living in Pig Trough?? David

Janet

Janet Report 24 Sep 2003 11:56

My sons used to love it when we went through Pratts Bottom in Sussex. Jan

Sue

Sue Report 24 Sep 2003 14:03

Many moons ago I was a directory enquiry operator (before it was BT even!) and we girls always used to giggle at a place named Hackballs Cross. I think it's near Dublin. Sue at Langley Vale

Janet

Janet Report 24 Sep 2003 14:48

I think Norfolk must take the trophy for some of the funniest place names! One I can think of off hand is Five Mile Bottom, but there are loads more. This was one way we used to keep our daughters amused when we were going on holiday. They had to spot the funniest place name - saved all that "Are we nearly there yet" business! Janet

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Sep 2003 14:51

There is a 'Thong' just up the road

Jill

Jill Report 24 Sep 2003 14:53

In 1881 some ancestors lived on a small cul-de-sac called Comical Corner in South Shields. I wonder what was Comical about it?

Lynne

Lynne Report 24 Sep 2003 17:48

My funny address is not from my ancestors but relatives living in Australia - Yorkey's Knob!!! Lynne

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 24 Sep 2003 20:03

I knew I could rely on you to give me a few laughs after a hard day at work. It really does make you wonder how and who thought of some of these names. Jan - How bizarre that you should mention Pratts Bottom! I passed a sign for that place on my way to Biggin Hill last Sunday. My wife and I were in stitches (definitely not recommended when driving!). Take care all, and thanks again for the laughs. David

Oz Mozz

Oz Mozz Report 24 Sep 2003 20:56

We have some crackers here in Australia Lynne! Rise and Shine is a goodie!. I used to live in Cairns, not far from Yorkey's Knob! We have Iron KNob is South Australia! Winkie, Windy Harbour, Snug, Slacks Creek, Broke, Pullen Vale, Break O'Day! Sonja

Gillian

Gillian Report 28 Sep 2003 16:38

I like Peep O Day Lane in Dundee

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 28 Sep 2003 16:40

Keep 'em coming folks. Haven't had so many laughs in a long time!! David

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 28 Sep 2003 16:50

How about Thwing and Wetwang in Yorkshire

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 28 Sep 2003 17:47

Hi What about Much Hadham and Ugley in Hertfordshire? There is also a Little Hadam. Liz

Helen

Helen Report 28 Sep 2003 17:47

I'm sure I remember passing by a place called Peeover as a child. Would it have been Cheshire?

Paul

Paul Report 28 Sep 2003 18:55

We have a road called "The Leases" in Beverley East Yorkshire (Quite a posh part of town) I wonder how many of the people who live there know that it was known as "Slut well Lane".

Lynne

Lynne Report 28 Sep 2003 19:14

Helen There is definitely a place called Lower Peeover somewhere around Cheshire. Lynne

Gillian

Gillian Report 28 Sep 2003 20:09

Peeover is pronounced Peever. We have a Willey Lane in our village, and a house that was called Willey Croft, but the new owners changed it to Willow Croft. Shame! What about Cowroast in Hertfordshire?

Carol

Carol Report 29 Sep 2003 00:22

I have an ancestor born at Ferriby Sluice I live in Plymouth, and there is an area down the road called Swilly

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 29 Sep 2003 14:16

Carol Is that anything to do with North Ferriby in East Yorkshire or South Ferriby in Lincolnshire?

Chris in London

Chris in London Report 29 Sep 2003 15:04

Yes there is a village called Ugley on the Essex border - only a few miles away, just past the Hertfordshire border is a village called Nasty. We are waiting for the local news headline "Nasty man weds Ugly woman". Also, there is an Ugley Womens Institute and the local nursery is called the Ugley Ducklings!