Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone tell me what the Mormen site is please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Francesca

Francesca Report 25 Sep 2003 23:37

I have heard that the Mormens have a record of everyone in the world and that they have a site that you can access it all. Would anyone be able to give me the web address please?

Dave

Dave Report 25 Sep 2003 23:50

Hi Francesca, This site is The Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints commonly referred to on this site as LDS. I can assure you that it does not have everyone in the world but it is an excellent site for research. The best thing to do is explore it yourself. To the left of the GC site you will see Resource Centre, click on that and then on the next page click on Useful Links. The next page you see will have the LDS site at the very top. Click on familysearch.org and away you go!! Good luck and good hunting. Dave

Pat

Pat Report 25 Sep 2003 23:52

Hi This excellent freesite is at http://www.familysearch.org/ it explains how to search - records of ancestors which includes 1881 census - also world wide records. Plus much more. Good luck. Pat

Paul

Paul Report 25 Sep 2003 23:59

Try familysearch. org But I must agree with David that you may not find what you are looking for. A lot of people have entered the same details for the same person, which can confuse matters. I have also found that they seem to have altered the format relatively recently, and that seems to have "lost" some information. You did not say what you were looking for, but if it is England and Wales, have you tried FreeBMD? Paul

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 26 Sep 2003 00:00

The Mormon site is the same as the L.D.S site which contains the I.G.I plus 1881 English census and the 1880 census's for America and Canada. The web site is www.Familysearch.org It is a useful tool but is by no means complete and some of the entries aren't always accurate having been submitted from various sources. Bren

Francesca

Francesca Report 26 Sep 2003 00:39

Thanks for your help everyone. I have infact been on this site (didnt realise it was the Mormens!) But I must be doing something wrong as other people have found information on there that I cant find! I'll try again. Does the free BMD cover London as I have tried it a few times but can never find anyone? Thanks again. Fran

Francesca

Francesca Report 26 Sep 2003 10:42

Thanks for all your help - I see there is a lot of hard work to do yet!