Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Book on Leather Industry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Penny

Penny Report 26 Sep 2003 03:19

Several relatives I have in my Family Tree worked in Walsall in the leather industry. There is a site for a leather museum in Walsall. I have e-mailed them several times for information and they have responded immediately and been very helpful. They just sent me an e-mail saying that new book which tells the story of Walsall's word-famous leather trades has recently been published. It's called "The Walsall leather Industry" written by Mike Glasson. Apparently if gives a fascinating account of the story of Walsall's unique 200 yr leatherworking tradition. The book features over 180 phtographs, the earliest dating back to the 1880's with most of the photos from the collections at the Leather Museum, Walsall Local History Centre and well as treasured family albums - many of which have never been published. The book is published by Tempus and is available from local bookshops and the Leather Museum at £12.99 and also available on the internet from Amzon Books. Don't know if the book is any interest to any of the list members, but as it has just been published - I wanted to let you know in case you wanted to have a look at it. It's not available in Canada yet (via the internet) so guess I will have to wait awhile - but it does sound interesting if you have family that was involved in this trade. Penny

Patricia

Patricia Report 26 Sep 2003 10:02

Just to let u know that Walsall was well known for Horse equipment in leather ie saddle's and so forth, if you want to search on line try searching under sites in the Black Country, as Walsall is part of the Black Country, there is loads of info on the net relating to this. good luck. Check this site out http://www(.)walsall(.)gov(.)uk/leathermuseum/hist(.)asp JUST REMOVE THE BRACKETS