Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stepson/daughter?!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laurie

Laurie Report 26 Sep 2003 22:22

Hi, Can anyone tell me why would somebody use stepson or daughter in the early 1900's? I have it on the 1891 and 1901, but the head of the household and his wi9fe are not the childrens parents. I have the childrens parents from the 1881. Any ideas? Laurie

Keith

Keith Report 26 Sep 2003 22:31

Hi Laurie. The words seem to be frequently used in place of the modern word Adopted. There was no formal adoption process until I think 1927. We have a couple of instances on our tree. One good example is were a girl of 4 lost both parents and she was taken in and brought up by our relative.

Laurie

Laurie Report 26 Sep 2003 22:37

Hi Keith, Do you think that could have been the same for mine? Charles was 17yrs on 1891 and Ethel 6yrs however Florence who was 14yrs was no where to be seen. Though on 1901 Charles is no where to be seen but Florence and Ethel are. Laurie

Laurie

Laurie Report 27 Sep 2003 00:16

Hi, Does anybody else have any ideas? Laurie

Keith

Keith Report 27 Sep 2003 22:38

Hi Laurie. What was the entry on the 1881? Keith

Laurie

Laurie Report 28 Sep 2003 13:07

Hi Kieth, On 1881 they are all living with their mother. She was 37 and a widow but it looks like she remarried. There was also an older daughter but she was married by 1901. Laurie

Laurie

Laurie Report 29 Sep 2003 22:25

ANY OTHER IDEAS, aNYONE? Laurie

George

George Report 29 Sep 2003 22:33

The head of the house & and his wife probably are related in some way to the children. I discovered a child living with one of my families in 1901, he was down as son but I knew he was'nt, I later found out he was a nephew who's parents had died and he was unofficially adopted by his uncle. George

Laurie

Laurie Report 29 Sep 2003 22:36

Hi George, Thanks for that. Laurie