Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

windows messenger pop ups

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annie in

Annie in Report 28 Sep 2003 20:10

I have only been getting these since last night,one advertising losing weight,but most of them are about a website called destroyads, to get rid of them! More worringly was one advertising some sort of sex site! Just lucky my children weren't on the computer. Has anyone else started receiving these?

Yvette

Yvette Report 28 Sep 2003 20:21

Diane I have also started getting the detroyads one, so far i havent worked a way to get Norton to block it, but if i do i will let you know how. Anyone else out there know how???? Yvette

Crista

Crista Report 28 Sep 2003 20:24

Here's how to stop this: The best method is to set your firewall up to block NetBIOS ports 135, 137, 138 and 139. You can also do these following, but it will stop other messenger services. Some Anti-Virus programs will use the service to send warnings to a user when a virus or Trojan is detected. Windows XP Click on the Start button and open the control panel. Open the Performance and Maintenance control panel and go to Administrative Tools. Now double-click on Services, then scroll to Messenger. Double-click Messenger and click Stop to stop the service. Change the startup type to Disable and click Apply at the bottom. Click OK to exit window. Windows 2000 Click on the Start button -> Settings -> Control Panel. Double click on Administrative Tools. Now double-click on Services, then scroll to Messenger. Double-click Messenger and click Stop to stop the service. Change the startup type to Disable and click Apply at the bottom. Click OK to exit window. Crista

Annie in

Annie in Report 28 Sep 2003 20:42

Hi,Christa,just done it. Thank you very much.Any idea why these had suddenly started?

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 28 Sep 2003 20:49

Crista, I really wished you lived over here, as I would galdly pay you to sort my machine out! You sound very knowledgable when it comes to computers. Since I loaded mailwasher, only installed because of all this virus scare, outlook will only send when it feels like it! very frustrating. Sorry I am going off on a tangent here. Kim

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 28 Sep 2003 20:54

Followed your instructions Christa, ours is already set to disable, we also have Pop-Up Stopper Pro installed, and still some of these pop ups are getting through. Although I've not seen any advertising sex sites. Ros

Judith

Judith Report 28 Sep 2003 20:57

I haven't had any pop-ups since I installed the Google toolbar - it blocks them all. Judith

Crista

Crista Report 28 Sep 2003 21:08

Ros and Jude, These aren't the same as browser pop-ups. These are part of a function called “Message Service” or “Net Send” – an unrelated Windows feature. The Google Toolbar is designed to kill browser pop-ups. Diane, Messenger service spam is the latest form of spam to hit the Internet. If you've been free so far, you've been lucky. Some ISPs block these messages and some don't. Kim, Can't help you with Mail Washer. Have you looked here: http://www.mailwasher.net/faq.php Crista

Judith

Judith Report 28 Sep 2003 21:12

Oh right thanks, Christa, I hadn't realised that windows messenger pop-ups were different. Judith

Yvette

Yvette Report 29 Sep 2003 00:46

Thanks for that Crista, had a bit of trouble finding my way around my system to do this but suceeded and now pop up free. What a relief! Yvette

Carol

Carol Report 29 Sep 2003 01:56

I dont get these messenger thingies now that I am on broadband. I have a pop up stopper, but some links open in new windows, so I have to remember to use control key to over ride, or I get a funny plopping sound.

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 29 Sep 2003 11:16

Hello If you want to stop ads popping up go to the Google site download the free tool bar and this will give you an option for blocking ads Since I took this option I have had 119 ads blocked Hope this is of use Bren