Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confused!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cazziemc

Cazziemc Report 29 Sep 2003 18:35

Hello all, A while ago some kind person had some spare 1837online credits left and offered a look up. I was looking for a Charles Tonge born in 1840 in the Manchester area. This kind person came back with a Charles Henry Albert Tonge, born in Chorlton, September 1/4 1840. Very excitedly, I emailed Manchester Register Office to ask them if they could check if the parents were the right ones (Thomas and Christiana). I received an email back saying the parents were wrong. Since then, I did a parent search on familysearch, and lo and behold found a Charles Henry Albert Tonge being christened in Manchester Cathedral, 20.12.1840, parents Thomas and Christina Tonge. I emailed back to Manchester Register Office to enquire if the message meant the parents were completely wrong, if just one of them was wrong, or if they were slightly wrong. The reply was that they assumed the message meant they were both wrong. I accept that there could be more than 1 Charles Tonge born in Manchester/Chorlton at the same time, but more than 1 with 3 forenames exactly the same?? Anybody have any ideas, or would you just send for the certificate and see what it comes up with? Thanks in advance for any responses. Carol

Carol

Carol Report 29 Sep 2003 18:49

I would send off for the certificate direct from Manchester, giving all the information you have. £7 is the cost Send a stamped addressed envelope and if it is wrong, they should write back with what is wrong. The operative word in the 2nd email was "assume"