Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

camberwell (onw) circles.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Belle56

Belle56 Report 30 Sep 2003 13:47

Help! i've been going round in circles all morning, still trying to find out if surrey n e would have been the death registration district of southwark in 1953 made phone calls, to no avail, and have been on the net all morning, all i can find out is that freebmd has some deaths registered in 1953 no names listed, but has the district vol for surrey n e as 5g, but when i went to the mainpage of freebmd there was no such district, but somewhere along my research a list for 5g came up and camberwell (onw) was amongst it, can any clever person out there tell me what (onw) means? could it mean onward? could i have found my ggrandfather or not? please help no housework done for days.

Belle56

Belle56 Report 30 Sep 2003 14:41

Oh Max, what a lovely person you are thank you very much, it would be very much appreciated, hope you get more helpful people than i did, i don't know why george is so hard to research, he had a shop in coin street for years, can't find anything on that either, wish i had been interested in tracing my family tree when i lived in camberwell. many thanks again:-)

Belle56

Belle56 Report 30 Sep 2003 16:33

thank you max, do you have kings phone no handy? and which dept did you speak to, as it surrey n e i'm looking for. i will phone my dad and live in hope that he remembers to shops name. Back in little while.xxx

Belle56

Belle56 Report 30 Sep 2003 17:34

I'll be checking in a mo, as you can tell i'm not logical at all. George Reece had a shop at 42 Coin Street Southwark, we know he left there in 1936, and my dad thinks it was on the corner of coin street and lower ground. Any information is very gratefully received:-)xx

Laurie

Laurie Report 30 Sep 2003 23:10

Hi April, All I can tell you is Camberwell appears on the 1881 census for one of my ancestors and it is in Surrey. Sorry that is all I know. Laurie

Belle56

Belle56 Report 1 Oct 2003 14:39

Thank you Laurie, if Max is looking in, and does happen to find george, could you please post any info on genes, as i'm changing servers thursday or friday, but please don't feel obliged, i know how time consuming this hobby can be:-)) April xx

Belle56

Belle56 Report 6 Oct 2003 15:21

Oh Max you are a star, i'll have to send my mother down to the library to take a look, as it's only a few minutes walk from her. MANY MANY THANKS. APRILXX :-)