Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A Nightmare for Ireland Researchers?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 30 Sep 2003 23:40

A family I used to know, 6 sisters, who were from Ireland, discovered that their surname was spelled differently on each of their birth certificates. One of them used to joke, that it probably depended on how drunk their father was when he registered them. Many a true word spoken in jest

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 30 Sep 2003 23:53

But at least you have certificates. I can't even find enough info to get a blimmin' certificate *pulls annoyed face*

Carol

Carol Report 1 Oct 2003 00:02

If it is Ireland, I am going to LDS Friday and searching Irish indesis. Can I help?

Jackie

Jackie Report 1 Oct 2003 08:12

hi kathryn, i am in same boat as you , i dont have enough info all i have is name, year and names of parents, isnt ireland very difficult for searching,dont seem to be getting anywhere either. we will just keep trying, im sure we will find them eventually, cheers,jackie.

Carol

Carol Report 1 Oct 2003 08:18

Hi both, give me the names and years and I will look on the index. Took me a while, but I finally got hubby`s grandmother`s birth certificate. Now I need her parents marriage. If you need info on getting certificates, please let me know.

George

George Report 1 Oct 2003 11:07

Can you do me a favour and have a look for a Dennis Griffin b 1837 in CoGalway to a John and ?. Also Ellen Daly m Daniel (Michael) O'hanlon in 1879/1880 somewhere in Ireland. Any help appreciated George

mab

mab Report 1 Oct 2003 17:21

Carol, if you have time please can I add another one? I have been trying for ages to find the mother of Rachel Elliott, b 1853/4 father Andrew Elliott, I THINK in the Dublin area. Thank you for any help, Marian

Jackie

Jackie Report 1 Oct 2003 20:36

hi carol, thanks for the offer i would really appreciate it all the info i have is . james mccarroll born 1877. parents names thomas and jane mccarroll ( maiden name skelly) could also have been spelt mccarrol. thanks so much . cheers , jackie.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 1 Oct 2003 22:47

I have a Moses Steenson born circa 1830, probably near Belfast. I warned you! Seriously, if anyone on here finds a Moses Steenson floating around in or near Belfast, please let me know. I know for a fact that this name was inflicted on four generations.

Carol

Carol Report 1 Oct 2003 23:03

All written in my book. I am going to LDS Friday, so answers (if any) here Friday evening. I dont think civil registration in Ireland started as early as it did here, 1864 I think, but I will try. The people at the LDS are a very helpful lot.

Paul

Paul Report 1 Oct 2003 23:33

Carol Protestant marriages were registered from 1845, the whole kit and caboodle started in 1864. People can strike lucky if the local church kept good records. Paul

Carol

Carol Report 2 Oct 2003 00:12

Thanks for that Paul, I knew 1864 came into it somewhere.

Carol

Carol Report 2 Oct 2003 16:38

Teresa, yes, I am in the UK, Plymouth to be precise. My local LDS has lots of readers for both film and fiche. I do have to make an appointment, but that is just a phone call. They have loads of films for Ireland, chances are they will be every one but the ones we want. Thanks for the offer to help.