Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1851 Durham look up please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 1 Oct 2003 13:50

Is there anyone out there who has the 1851 census or would be willing to do a look up at their library for me please. Chris Elstob very kindly found the family I am after on the 1861 census which gave me some more vital information - Thank you Chris, but I think that there may be an even older child that could be listed on 1851. The details are as follows and taken from 1861. St Helens John Hindmarch 42 Colliery Agent born Philiadelphia, Durham Jane Hindmarch 35 born Millington Dinsdale? Sarah Hindmarch 15 born West Auckland John Hindmarch 12 born Thornley or Ludworth(1871 census) Isabella Hindmarch 10 born Thornley or Ludworth(1871 census) Richard Hindmarch 8 born Trimdon Elizabeth Hindmarch 5 born Trimdon Mary Hindmarch 1 born Northumberland Acomb Isabella Hindmarch 69, Mother of head born Gateshead I have phoned Durham Records office and they have said that the area I am after Ludworth comes under the Pittington area and is RG8/2391 folio 499 to 523. I would be very grateful to anyone that could help Best wishes Karen Hindmarch Birmingham

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 1 Oct 2003 15:34

Karen, Have you tried asking the Durham Reg Office to send you a copy of the page from the census. They have supplied me with copies for the 1861 census at £2 each, but it was truly worth it. Their address & tel is: Durham Registra Office 35 Cockton Hill Rd Bishop Auckland DL14 6HS Tel: 01388 607277 and they did it over the phone aswell, also they do not charge if they can't find it! well they didn't me, anyway. Hope this helps Kim

Karen

Karen Report 1 Oct 2003 16:27

Hi kim Thanks for the tip, will give it a go and see what happens. Karen

Karen

Karen Report 2 Oct 2003 11:32

Hi Kim Update Phoned the number you gave me and they said that they do not deal with census records at all but gave me the number of Durham records office but they are going to charge me £20 per hour to do lookups of any kind. Looks like its the LDS again but thanks for you tip Kim. Best wishes Karen

Chris

Chris Report 2 Oct 2003 11:38

Karen Have you tried Cleveland FHS.They have the 1851 census indexs in booklet form Wont give you addresses but the names will be in it. Chris

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 2 Oct 2003 15:32

Karen, So so sorry. I have given you the wrong address & tel: I have applied for so much stuff lately, don't know if I am coming or going! It should have been: County Archivist County Record Office Durham CC County Hall Tel: 0191 383 3253 I have just found the the Comp slip from them. Kim

Karen

Karen Report 2 Oct 2003 16:20

Kim&Chris Thanks for your tips. Phoned the number you gave me Kim and they want £20 per hour to do the look up. I'm not stingy but I do think that it a lot of money just for a hunch. Chris, will give the FHS a call or email and see what they can do. If all else fails will have to go to the LDS who have been very helpful on a couple of issues. Thanks for your help Best wishes Karen

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 2 Oct 2003 20:36

Karen Have sent you an e-mail Ann,Darlington