Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is there a way?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laurie

Laurie Report 2 Oct 2003 23:15

Hi, Can anyone help me please? Is there a way that I can find out who lived at addresses other than on the date of census' Laurie

Carol

Carol Report 2 Oct 2003 23:17

Kelly directories used to list householders at private addresses. If you have a main library, you may find one there.

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 2 Oct 2003 23:18

Have you tried the Electoral registers Ann,Darlington

Laurie

Laurie Report 2 Oct 2003 23:21

Hi Ann, Can I get them online or do I need to travel to the area in question. Hi Carol, will they have private addresses for the country at the main library? Laurie

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 2 Oct 2003 23:35

Hi Laurie Somebody (Steph I think) posted a web address on here today for Kelly's Directories. It was www(.)historicaldirectories(.)org I found it very helpful. Jeanette

Maggie

Maggie Report 2 Oct 2003 23:36

Try this one that Stephanie put on the message board earlier its www(.)historicaldirectories(.)org - remove brackets - it has lots of old Kellys Directories which can be searched by surname - its really good i was on it for about an hour and found quite a few rellies. Maggie

Laurie

Laurie Report 2 Oct 2003 23:40

Thank you so much for that. Can I get the electoral register online aswell? Laurie

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 3 Oct 2003 07:08

Hi, There are no electoral rolls on line as far as I know. Many county record offices have only kept every five years or so. Single women didn't have the vote until 1928, married women slightly earlier. Most men couldn't vote until the 20th Century. You are only likely to find ancestors in the poll books if they were landowners. You had to own a certain amount of land before you could vote. Gwynne

Laurie

Laurie Report 3 Oct 2003 09:48

Hi Gwynneth, I'm after electoral register after 1900 (1909 and 1935/36), will they still be available to search? Laurie

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 3 Oct 2003 11:16

Hi, Contact the County record office of the area you want and they will tell you what has been preserved. Very few have been indexed so you have to plough through them which can be time consuming and boring. Also there are no electoral rolls compiled during war time. Hope this helps, Gwynne

Laurie

Laurie Report 3 Oct 2003 11:36

Thanks Gwynneth. Laurie