Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What's next?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marion

Marion Report 3 Oct 2003 18:43

Found a possible marriage for ggggrandparents May 1837 on IGI but no sign of a wedding on 1837online for the whole of that year. Just when I thought Iwas getting somewhere!Anyone had this experience with a positive outcome? Marion

Carol

Carol Report 3 Oct 2003 18:49

Bummer when that happens. I am not sure that civil registration actually started at the beginning of 1837, and as it was new, how many people knew about it, how many people actually cared. Quite a few probably didnt bother registering, or the church didnt send their records to the GRO If it tells you on the IGI, where they married, you should be able to get a copy of the marriage entry, but I dont think they gave as much information as the GRO certificates.

Carol

Carol Report 3 Oct 2003 18:54

Found it Marion Civil Registration of births, marriages and deaths (known as "Vital Records" in some countries) started on 1 July 1837 for England and Wales

Marion

Marion Report 4 Oct 2003 13:23

Ah that accounts for it! Thanks for that.

Carol

Carol Report 4 Oct 2003 13:48

No problem Marion, hopefully I will remember if that magic year comes up in mine.

George

George Report 4 Oct 2003 13:54

If you have found a marriage on the IGI what i would do is look under batch numbers for a likely church. From there you can get childrens details. With the church you then find which record office holds the parrish registers, go there and look up the marriage. You should find an entry that resembles a modern marriage certificate. George

Marion

Marion Report 4 Oct 2003 18:43

George, I did find the church which was All Souls, St Marylebone. Batch nos did not reveal the childen unfortunately, but thankyou for your help. Where is the best place to try for the license or record of the marriage? I'm nowhere near London. Marion

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 4 Oct 2003 19:59

Hi, Find out which Record Office holds the Parish Records (Phillimore's Atlas will tell you). The staff will copy the record for you for a fee - find out how much first - some charge a lot others about £1. Gwynne