Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sydney Coleman - Died, Married but not born

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 3 Oct 2003 19:32

I am having trouble finding my paternal Grandad's birth details. I have the marriage lines that show he married my grandmother Ada Maud Streeter 19 February 1918. He was aged 25 years (so yob c1883) and was a drummer in the 1st Garrison Battalion Northampton Regiment usual occupation general labourer. Address at time of marriage Union Street, Old Town, Croydon. His father's name was Frederick Coleman, deceased at time of son's marriage. Sydney died 11 October 1946 aged 56 years (so yob c1880) according to the cert and his death was registered by my grandmother. On my grandmother's death certificate she was shown as widow of Sydney Frederick Coleman. The only information I have been able to find out is that the regiment he joined for WW1 recruited in Warlingham and most of their records have been destroyed. The electoral registers in the late 1940's showed a Frederick Coleman staying with my Gran for a couple of years, obviously not my great grandfather so assume great uncle. Have looked on 1881, 1981, 1901 census, message boards all over the place, links, anything I can think of. No relatives to ask. Suggestions, tips, empathy anything in fact welcomed as I have done so well on my other branches. Desperate of Reigate :(

Crista

Crista Report 3 Oct 2003 20:13

Lynn, Is your maths correct? Using the dates and ages you give, he was born around 1890s not 1880s. Crista

Yvette

Yvette Report 3 Oct 2003 21:04

Lynn Sorry but not sure if i can help any just yet, however i am looking into the Streeter line at the moment as i have just found 3 brothers in my family married to 3 Streeter sisters. I am just waiting for the birth certificate of Alice Streeter,born 1855, who was my grandfathers grandmother, if i find anything that links to your names as i search i will get back to you. In the meantime, good luck with your search. Yvette

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 4 Oct 2003 10:24

Nudging this for you in the hope someone can check the 1901 for you. Maz. XX

Lynn

Lynn Report 4 Oct 2003 15:37

Thanks for noticing my maths error! If Sydney was 25 in 1918 he would indeed have been born in 1893 oops. Yvette, if your Streeters emanate from Croydon, good luck - there are an awful lot there. My tree isn't as up to date as it should be on here but I am happy to e-mail you with details of my Streeters if you let me know. I promise to update my tree when I have a spare couple of hours.

Crista

Crista Report 4 Oct 2003 19:52

Lynn, The birth records on FreeBMD are mostly complete from 1892 onwards so you might be able to find him. Crista

Yvette

Yvette Report 4 Oct 2003 21:56

Hi Lynn Thanks (i think) for the warning :-) Yes my Streeters are Croydon based, so maybe i need to start tearing my hair out now, as i have very little information on them yet, and it will save me a job when i start digging,lol All i have for now is Emma Streeter born June q 1848,Eliza Streeter born December q 1852 and Alice Streeter born June q 1855 and their fathers name was William Streeter. I am waiting on the birth certificate of Alice at the moment then i hope to start digging for the history on them. Please do email me anything you can, i would be grateful for any help. I do have the wedding dates and husbands of all three girls and in some cases the descendants of them to the current day, so if you want to know any of it please ask. Regards Yvette