Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

When will you stop?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 4 Oct 2003 00:13

Further to Jeanette's very interesting "What made you start?" message, I thought I'd add another question one to the mix ... My husband thinks I'm obsessed, which is undoubtedly true, it's ridiculously time consuming, expensive and frustrating and what's the result ... 1064 names on a tree which is so large I can't even print it! So when will I stop ... well, until earlier this evening I thought my goal was to get back into the 1600s with each ancestor in my direct line, but having read and answered the "What made you start?" question, I realised that nothing will make me stop ... not even being put in a box myself, because I intend to haunt all of my relatives from beyond the grave just in case they try to forget me! So when will you stop?

Annie

Annie Report 4 Oct 2003 00:18

So right! I'm so addicted I offer to do trees for my friends as well. Also when you think a good Christmas present for your family is a family tree cd rom you know you've got it bad. A

Lesley

Lesley Report 4 Oct 2003 00:26

God tell me about it! I've been lucky enough to have inheritted (is that spelt right) some furniture from my husband's great grandmother ... the trouble is, all I can think when I look at it is "That belonged to Beatrice born 1881 Hildenborough, died 1981, married to Frederick born Burton Overy ...." You get the idea!

Carol

Carol Report 4 Oct 2003 01:00

Lesley, I know the feeling. I only recently got back into it, and Bargain Hunt just isnt the same. Hubby thinks I am mad, but glad of the peace when I go to the LDS. I am doing his as well, and his mum is interested. Hubby just hopes I will come across some unclaimed money one day. I intend eventually, to print it all up in books for my nieces and nephews, hopefully, they will pass them down.

Steph

Steph Report 4 Oct 2003 08:06

thinking of giving up all the time now. Have done my tree, and my husbands. Have 252 names going back to 1700's , and I can't find a way of getting any further back than that! Only started, to show my 5 year old daughter her roots. Still, have been in touch with 3 long lost distant cousins, a cousin of my late grandmother and a lady who is very distantly related to my husband, and have had lots of fun. Anybody know what I can do with my computer now??

Maxine

Maxine Report 4 Oct 2003 08:25

Hi Leslie and all My husband just raises his eyebrows now, my hobby doesn't even warrant a comment any more! He's very good though, he gets up on Saturday mornings to drive me to the records office (so I don't have to park in town)- or is it that he's glad to get rid of me? I don't think I'll ever stop - I find my self envying retired people as they have so much more time than me to do it, and can go to the rcords office all day - midweek ! My boss says I don't qualify for my pension yet as I am only 37. I think a family tree is ususally greater than a life's work, so I'll just keep going until I have got back as far as I can,and traced forward every line I discover. I just love it! I love to stand where they stood, and touch objects they touch, and think my great great grandmother did this 100 years ago! I'll shut up now - I'm starting to go on! Maxine

Iz

Iz Report 4 Oct 2003 08:58

I have only recently started my tree (July) but I became so hooked that I even log on GC at 6.30am every day before I get the kids up! They now complain that I spend hours on it doing nothing, but I won't stop as one person does not appear to have existed, and it has become a mission to find his name recorded somewhere. He did definately exist as my relatives are alive to prove it! Iz.

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Oct 2003 09:17

The answer is of course, never. You never know when you will find a new link that knocks down those brick walls. For about 17 years I have been stuck on my mothers side. The last know ancestor retired from the army in India in 1819. Hadn't got a clue where he went from there. All of his children were born in India. One of his son's, my ancestor, settled in Exton, Rutland. No sign of dad. Then last week I decided to send for a few death certificates. I am trying to get a full set, birth, marriage,death for each great grandparent etc. I very nearly didn't send for this one as I had her death date from a gravestone. The only thing I didn't know I thought was the cause of death. As I had her name, date of death and age I thought finding her on the index would be easy. The only one that fitted was in an area I wouldn't have considered. I risked it and sent for it. It was the right one, the informant was a brother in law who I didn't know existed. I found his baptism on the IGI and his father is the one I have been stuck on all these years. I have now sent for his death cert. Never give up, those brick walls will come down, one day. Margaret

Sarah

Sarah Report 4 Oct 2003 11:53

When my money or patience runs out or I get sectioned. HeHeHe. Sarah.

George

George Report 4 Oct 2003 12:41

Look at the number in my tree. You keep going on hitting a brick wall and change to another line or go back and fill in the brothers and sisters family and find out as much as yo can about the family. House, businesses, wills, occupations anything and everything My wife has even been writing a novel about one of her ancestors who was a pawnbroker using all the names in both families that lived in the area. I might get her to post it on here one day, it is a graet insight into how they used to live in the 1800's George

Iz

Iz Report 4 Oct 2003 13:23

George, WOW, that is amazing! Enough to inspire anybody. Iz.

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 4 Oct 2003 14:37

Hi I don't think you will ever stop you might slow down a bit last week whilst searching records I met a lady who had been researching for 40 years She is now in her late eighties her family think she is mad , her explanation is that it keeps her brain active and stops her from getting senile dementia To Max it is a fallacy that retired peole have more time to search records I have to fit mine round family duties eg grandchildren and other things Bren

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 4 Oct 2003 15:16

If I live to the average age for women, I should stop in about 57 years. Just think of how many census returns will be available by then!

Patricia

Patricia Report 4 Oct 2003 15:24

When i find that bloody inheritance i know its out there somewhere LOL.

Lesley

Lesley Report 4 Oct 2003 21:50

Patricia ... I like that one! With a name like Marriott you can imagine what I'm hoping!! George ... just when I thought I was doing well with over 1000 names! Hey ho, another goal to reach ... To everyone that answered, thank you, at least I know I'm not alone in being completely obsessed!

Lynne

Lynne Report 4 Oct 2003 22:16

It's so lovely to be among 'normal' people.I have just come home from an evening meal out with my husband and the first thing I've done as soon as I got home is get on here!!!! I'm glad to be among you all. Lynne.

Lesley

Lesley Report 4 Oct 2003 22:34

Perhaps GC should be patented as a form of contraception!! Seems to work in my house much to my husband's annoyance!

Janet

Janet Report 5 Oct 2003 01:19

Getting back to the original question ........... !!! The simple answer is ........... I really don't know! I would like to find the elusive Garibaldi Frasi who allegedly came to England in the 1700's from Italy. We're back to my great-great-grandfather born in 1820, and know the name of my great-great-great grandfather. I've found a Giulia Frasi who was born in Milan in about 1710, and who married a Charles Churchill in 1743 in London, and had a daughter the same year. Whether this is the same Giulia Frasi who was one of Handel's favourite sopranos, we don't know, but as Frasi is quite a rare name in Italy, I suspect it is one and the same, as the dates are right. Perhaps she was Garibaldi's sister, or something .......... But even if I do find my Garibaldi, I suspect I will be taking quite a few holidays in Italy in years to come! Janet