Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

please help Matilda Brown born 1866

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 4 Oct 2003 22:15

Could somebody please help me and look for Matilda Brown also known as Tilly on the 1837. I am trying to find the reference so I can order her birth cert. She was born York 1866. Thanks in advance as I am really stuck now. Liz

Penelope

Penelope Report 4 Oct 2003 22:29

Hi Elizabeth Matilda Brown christened 17 March 1867 in York. Father Henry Brown mother Ann. FHL Film 1068536. Hope this is the right one. Penny

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 4 Oct 2003 22:32

Hi, I have looked on Yorkshire BMD hope you have better luck as I could not find her. I really really need her reference for the birth cert, please help. Thanks

Penelope

Penelope Report 4 Oct 2003 22:34

They will do a search for you if you give them the details. It costs a bit more, but could be money well spent Penny

Stan

Stan Report 4 Oct 2003 23:19

Hi, Elizabeth I hope this is the right one: Brown, Matilda, Apr-Jun 1867, York 9d, 3. There are no Matilda Brown entries for York in 1866. However, she was no doubt born earlier than the quarter in which she was registered - you will note the christening was in the previous quarter. Yorkshire BMD is doing Leeds and Hull, and has just started Bradford. It may be quite a while before you get York on it. Best wishes Stan Driver

Stan

Stan Report 5 Oct 2003 00:12

Hi, Elizabeth I've just seen your earlier posting 296254. Out of curiosity I looked up the 1891 entry for Matilda Rook to see her age, as asked by Crista. The entry reads as follows: Piece RG12/3664, Folio 134, Page 39: 47 Moor Crescent Rd, Hunslet, Leeds: Charles Rooks, Head, 29, Laborer, b. Yorks, Pocklington; Matilda Rooks, Wife, 25, b. Yorks, Yorks; Frederick G Rooks, Son, 5, B. Yorks, Leeds; Charles H Rooks, Son, 8 ms, b. Yorks, Leeds. Spelling of Laborer, and the City of York as Yorks, are as on the original. So the age of 25 is consistent with the age of 15 in the 1881 census. It should make it even more interesting to discover whether it was an 1866 birth registered in 1867, or whether she added a year to her age in 1881 and kept it thereafter. Best wishes Stan

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 5 Oct 2003 17:10

Thanks Stan for your messages. I think I will order the birth cert with the reference you gave me. I have her fathers name on the marriage cert. I will have to try and get the earlier census than 1881 to find out anymore. thanks again Liz