Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish Knowledge required Help!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 5 Oct 2003 22:36

I'm busy reseaching my mothers family tree and have come across the name Heikie also found it spelt Heigkie, in one instance Heggie. How is it spelt no one else on here has a name like it??

Martin

Martin Report 6 Oct 2003 00:34

Lots of matches in the telephone directory on Heggie but none under the two other names. How long ago were the variations in spelling? If early 19th Century I would not worry too much as spellings did vary a lot. Martin

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2003 08:00

Hi Jacqueline, There are 4 Marriages and 4 Deaths listed in scotlandspeople(.)gov(.)uk under the spelling Heikie between 1859 and 1887. Nothing under the other spelling. Lots listed under Heggie. Found this on their free search. Regards Margaret

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Oct 2003 22:38

Thank you Margaret and Martin for your replies. I'm looking at pages from 1830 so I think the spelling was down to the registrar of the day. I think the name is probably Heggie. I will have to ring my uncle to find out how it is pronounced. Jackie

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2003 22:48

Jackie, The pronunciation would probably depend on where about in Scotland? As a matter of interest, what area is it ? Regards Margaret