Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry.co.uk has flipped!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 6 Oct 2003 22:04

I'm trying to do a search in 1891. I typed in William Forster, born Kent, Male, 39. What came out, several times, was FREDIANI CANDOLA, Wife, aged 30, born Italy. The strange thing is she was living in Hastings, which is about a mile away from where I am now. Jan.

Sheila

Sheila Report 6 Oct 2003 22:25

I believe you. I don't know why I bothered to subscribe to them. There are two particular people I am searching for and filled in the details requested fully, listing the places concerned as being in England. I have received 2 e-mails listing the names [loads] I am looking for but in the USA!! I have e-mailed and advised them that to my knowledge the persons concerned never went to the States.

Andy

Andy Report 6 Oct 2003 22:35

Jan, I'm getting the same problem. Went to search for the name James Gentles and it returned 4 search results all with the name Alice Gill! Huh?? Andy.

Andy

Andy Report 6 Oct 2003 22:37

Hmm, seems to be working again - albeit for how long....

Sally

Sally Report 6 Oct 2003 22:54

Hi Recently tried Ancestry.co.uk and all i was getting was people from everywhere but the uk have now given up on the site

Carol

Carol Report 6 Oct 2003 22:57

Are you sure that you are on ancestry uk and not the one with the 3 letter word at the end beginning with a C

Carol

Carol Report 6 Oct 2003 23:03

I found 5 William Forster Age 39, but none born in Kent Forster, William View Image Online Relationship: Head County: Derbyshire Age: 39 Civil Parish: Walton on Trent Gender: Male ED: 16a Where Born: Leicestershire, Scalford Eccl. Parish: St Lawrence and Walton on Trent Piece: RG12/2199 Town: Walton on Trent Folio: 109 Page: 7 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Forster, William View Image Online Relationship: Son County: Northumberland Age: 39 Civil Parish: All Saints Gender: Male ED: 11 Where Born: , Newcastle upon Tyne Eccl. Parish: Christ Church Piece: RG12/4212 Town: Newcastle upon Tyne Folio: 15 Page: 23 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Forster, William View Image Online Relationship: Head County: Northumberland Age: 39 Civil Parish: Newburn Hall Gender: Male ED: 14 Where Born: Northumberland, Semington Eccl. Parish: Sugley Piece: RG12/4243 Town: Semington Folio: 61 Page: 6 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Forster, William H View Image Online Relationship: Head County: Northumberland Age: 39 Civil Parish: Kilham Gender: Male ED: 16 Where Born: Essex, Stisted Eccl. Parish: Kirknewton Piece: RG12/4270 Town: Kilham Folio: 150 Page: 8 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Forster, William R View Image Online Relationship: Head County: Durham Age: 39 Civil Parish: Heworth Gender: Male ED: 5 Where Born: Durham, Sunderland Eccl. Parish: St Mary Piece: RG12/4172 Town: High Heworth Folio: 105 Page: 15

Carol

Carol Report 6 Oct 2003 23:07

Jan, I tried again using Foster and only one Foster, William View Image Online Relationship: Head County: Kent Age: 39 Civil Parish: Ramsgate Gender: Male ED: 5 Where Born: Kent, St Lawrence Eccl. Parish: St George Piece: RG12/730 Town: Margate Folio: 89 Page: 14

Sally

Sally Report 6 Oct 2003 23:48

no def anc.co.uk did not find anything on there is it good when its working

Gary

Gary Report 7 Oct 2003 06:57

Strange isn't it. I have been a subscriber to Ancestry.co.uk since February, Have never had a problem and have always found it useful. Without it I would never have got as far as I have with my family tree, whereas with Genes Connected I have never found a single person I am related to. I personally think Anestry is very good but I must admit all I see on this site is complaints. Although an awful lot of people want look ups done on it! Gary

Stephen

Stephen Report 7 Oct 2003 07:02

I would agree with Gary I have just renewed my membership for a second year and have found lots of information in my search for family.

Janet

Janet Report 7 Oct 2003 17:31

When I wrote my original message, I wasn't complaining about Ancestry.co.uk as such - I've found a lot of useful information on it. I was just surprised at getting such a strange result to my search. I then did one for John Forster, and got a similiarly unconnected result. Thanks for looking for Walter Forster for me, I've found lots of them myself, but I know he was born in Bexley Heath (or Boxley Heath as it is sometimes described). Couldn't find his father William either, till someone found him for me as Foreter. So I've tried all the wild cards I can think of, to no avail. But I'll keep trying. Jan.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 7 Oct 2003 21:13

Jan, hi, Bexley heath and Bexley are in Kent; Boxley Hill is in Surrey. Hope this helps. Helen

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 8 Oct 2003 18:44

I think I must have missed something when I did my free trial. I found (nearly) everyone on the 1891 census, but that was the only useful thing on there. All those records for parish and probate and Irish Flax growing etc etc didn't yield a thing.

George

George Report 8 Oct 2003 19:13

I find it strange that people have found no connections on this site. We have been on for about five months and in that time we have about 20 definate same line connections got in touch with about 70 contacts altogether. Another 20 have opened their trees to us with family connections. George

Janet

Janet Report 8 Oct 2003 22:24

You can find a great deal on this site if you are persistent. There are so many names and places indexed completely wrongly, that wild cards very often have to be used, and a great deal of lateral thinking, to work out who is the person you are looking for. Like Oxon transcribed as Devon, Carmathanshire as Cambridge, Benjamin James as Bingaminghus - all makes it difficult to sometimes get a hit straight away. I'm sure they are all there, some of them just take more searching than others. Jan.