Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military Personnell

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amie

Amie Report 7 Oct 2003 13:28

I'm having trouble locating records of military personnel, have had one suggestion of the public records office in Kew, Surrey but I live in Lincolnshire so it is very difficult to get down there. Has anyone got any information on other sources. My great grandad was a Driver in the Royal Engineers in the late 1800's to early 1900s, I'm trying to gather information on him or any information on where to look for military personnel sources? Also if anyone has any information on names of coilleries in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and South Yorkshire in these areas the proprieter was a Carter. It is likely to be Nottinghamshire rather than anything? If anyone has information on any of these subjects would be greatly appreciated to have some information or tips where to find the information, would be greatful. Thanks Amie

Gen

Gen Report 7 Oct 2003 13:51

You could try www(.)army(.)mod(.)uk/royalengineers/help/links or ask for help from the British Legion. Good luck Gen

Amie

Amie Report 7 Oct 2003 15:47

Thankyou Genevive for the tips it has given me an angle to enquire from thankyou. Amie

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 7 Oct 2003 16:49

Hello Amie You could try Army personell, Kentergern House, 65 Brown St. Glasgow G2 8EX They need Name of soldier, date of birth, regiment No, date of discharge and any other information you can give them. Also SAE. I have sent information and am awaiting copies of army records. As long as the person in question is no longer living they may be able to help. You will find information at the PRO Kew for your great grandad. I am afraid you will have to visit the PRO yourself, unless you can pay for a researcher. Good Luck Shirley.

Amie

Amie Report 7 Oct 2003 16:51

Thanks for the info Shirley. I'll try that. Amie