Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I've made a mistake - HELLLPPPP!!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 8 Oct 2003 17:35

Can anyone advise me I seem to be having a senior moment. I have mistakenly put in an entry to my tree and am trying to remove it, but it keeps on saying I can't. I have read the help board, but the person I am trying to remove is a partner, mother and many times grandmother and I am very confused. Any help will be gratefully received. Sarah.

Janet

Janet Report 8 Oct 2003 17:40

Unfortunately it seems to work that if you want to remove someone you have to first remove their children. If those children have children, you have to remove them, and so on. I overcame this by overwriting the wrong entry. Open up the name that is wrong, and if you don't know the correct one then just type Not Known for their name, or something like that. Then when you do know the correct new name, you can overtype it again. Hope this helps. Jan.

BrianW

BrianW Report 8 Oct 2003 17:42

If it's deeply embedded then contact the help desk and see if they can do it for you. You'll lose many of the rellies around it in either case !

Dawn

Dawn Report 8 Oct 2003 18:42

Thanks for your help. Hopefully no-one else will make that mistake again!

Dawn

Dawn Report 8 Oct 2003 18:48

Just to let everyone know, I did what Jan advised - luckily I knew the correct name to be able to overtype it. It worked! Thanks ever so much Jan. Sarah.

June

June Report 8 Oct 2003 18:48

I did the same thing as Jan did and it worked for me. just click on edit and put not known. June,Nr.Preston.Lan

Dawn

Dawn Report 8 Oct 2003 19:30

Thanks June! Sarah