Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This free CD with "Your Family Tree" help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 8 Oct 2003 19:20

I have just purchased the magazine after reading comments about it. I note it does not install like a normal program does. When I click on various things and read them, it all sounds like it only last for a trial period, is this so or do you get a program F.O.C. All the items on the left side sound like they are for purchase, have I got it all wrong, what do I install, and how do I install it. Thank you Peter.

Lucky

Lucky Report 8 Oct 2003 23:36

There are some trial programmes but usually about three which are the "headline" ones. I installed the photoslate one and am really pleased. I had to go on their website to obtain a code to "unlock it" but gave the minimum info in order to do so. The only real info was a e mail address (which they used to give the code) from an account I have just for this sort of thing. I just fill all the other fields in with XXX Some of the trial ones last for a set time, others are shorter versions of the full editions. I have used several trial ones and been really pleased. They are limited in some way but you can generally pick and choose and try out some programmes before buying, it saves money as you then only buy what suits you. This month has a special edition Cumberland tree as well as the fotoslate. I have not installed that as I don't want to use it. There does seem to be different ways of installing but generally most install from the disc.

Carol

Carol Report 8 Oct 2003 23:44

I installed the cumberland family tree, as it is a higher version to the one I already had. I tend to stick with what I know, and with nearly 300 names to juggle with, it needs to be. I already had the code, so not a problem.