Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census areas

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anna

Anna Report 9 Oct 2003 08:39

I was looking to order some of the Durham census's as the rellies i am researching all come from Southwick and the town area of Sunderland. Last night i found a website and was going to pay for a subscription to the 1891 Durham census name Index but when ive looked at it,it doesnt cover Sunderland!!It looks like it is South Durham ie:Bishop Auckland,Chester Le Street,Easington and Lanchester. Has anyone got any of the Durham census discs and if so,could you tell me if they actually cover Sunderland ,or do i need Northumberland? All the places of birth of Rellies is Sunderland which comes under Co Durham so i am a bit confused.Especially this early on a morning!! Thanks anna

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Oct 2003 08:59

Anna I have a subscription to Ancestry which has the 1891, can I help? Margaret

Chris

Chris Report 9 Oct 2003 09:14

Hi Anna the 1891 census for Durham Includes Sunderland and Southwick Chris

Anna

Anna Report 9 Oct 2003 10:27

thanks Margaret and Chris Margaret, I have so many different names to look up from 1891 for that area so it may be worth my while ordering the census for Durham but if you have time could you possilbly do a lookup for another area for me please? I think the area may be either Elswick,Newcastle or Boulmer,Northumberland which is his place of birth. the name is Bart Stephenson.I have him on 1901 aged 35 living with his wife and children but i havent been able to trace him prior to this.his oldest child wasnt born until 1895 so i prsume he was still living with his parents in 1891. Also could you see if there are any Robertson's in Byker Newcastle in 1891. Thanks in advance Anna

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Oct 2003 10:36

Anna Can't find Bart Stephenson, looked at Bert as well. There are 102 Robertson matches for Byker, can you be more specific Margaret

Anna

Anna Report 9 Oct 2003 10:41

thaanks Margaret Barts name is Bartram. The Robertsons i am after are as follows Alexander aged about 27 and his wife Margaretage about 27,possible children Elizabeth aged about 6 and maybe a baby Jessie aged about 1?I have them on 1901 as living in Byker,Newcastle Bart and Alexander are my fathers great grandfathers(barts son and alexanders daughter married) and im having a lot of trouble trying to find them. Thank you for looking for me Anna

Anna

Anna Report 9 Oct 2003 10:48

MArgaret I have just looked on 1881 census and found a Bartholomew born in the right place and at the right time for my Bart. Dad told me he was called Bartram!! Would you maybe be able to look under ths name Bartholomew Stephenson please? Thanks Anna

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Oct 2003 10:55

Anna 163 Harbottle Rd (Lower) Byker Alexander Robertson age 26 a wire rope maker Margaret age 24 Elizabeth age 6 Jessie age 1 All born Newcastle Still can't find Bart, do you know where he was born, have you found him on 1881 Margaret

Anna

Anna Report 9 Oct 2003 10:59

Thank you Margaret they are my Robertsons! Ive just put another reply on this thread stating Barts may be Bartolomew My father thought he was called Bartram for some reason but he doesnt know a lot about his family!! I have found him on 1881 Batholomew Stephenson aged 12? born Boulmer Northumberland he was living with parents at this time in Boulmer and seaton house,Northumberland and again in 1901 living in Byker with his wife and children

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Oct 2003 11:06

Anna Found him before you said Bartholomew It's transcribed as Bartholom 87 Hawes St, Elswick, Northumberland John Stephenson a widower age 66 a labourer born Embetton,??? Northumberland Can't read it properly Bartholew (that's what it says) age 25 son born Boulmer an Iron Turner Margaret

Anna

Anna Report 9 Oct 2003 11:15

thankyou margaret now ive looked back on 1881 again and there were 2 Barts one transcribed as Bartholomew aged 12 born and living Boulmer and another one which is the one you have just got called Bartolomas A Stephenson BUT on 1881 it says he was born in: Longhoughton, Northumberland, England . this one is the correct age as mine and also living at the same address as you found in 1891 Nothing is ever easy is it? I have managed to get back to 1760 on my mums side,admittedly i haad a lot of help as my mum had a large family and she had a lot of certs to help me but my dads side is proving to be a lot harder Thanks for your help Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Oct 2003 11:19

Anna You dad wasn't really wrong, I suppose Bart is short for Bartholomew. My dad's not much help either. His brother, younger by seven years, is much more of a help Margaret