Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Collieries

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 9 Oct 2003 19:56

Can any one tell me how many collieries there are around Cudworth Yorkshire and if there is any way of finding out which one an ancester worked at. He was working there around 1913/4. Sue

Susan

Susan Report 9 Oct 2003 20:34

Thanks Joan, I'll go have a peek. Sue

Sinead

Sinead Report 9 Oct 2003 21:11

Hi Sue, Don't mean to be a damp squib,but you may not get very far.I am also researching collieries but in Wales and the information I have received is that the majority of records were destroyed or lost when they closed the individual mines.If you are lucky you may find the person in the NUM records held at the PRO in Kew-but apparently the only thing that seems to recurrently survive is the accident books. Web site for the National Coal Mining Museum for England may be of use-www(.)ncm(.)org(.)uk also www(.)cmhrc(.)pwp(.)blueyonder(.)co(.)uk which is the site for coal mining history resource centre. and www(.)rjb(.)co(.)uk the site for UK Coal PLC. Best of luck with your searching,Sinead.

Tryphena

Tryphena Report 9 Oct 2003 21:37

Tryphena

Tryphena Report 9 Oct 2003 21:40

Go to www.pitwork.net or www.cmhrc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk they have all the lists of coal mines, when they began/closed etc. all kinds of stuhh to do with coal mines

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Oct 2003 22:37

Hi, if your relative was born after 1916 they have all the records in Hays Provincial House Solly Street Sheffield S14 VA They can tell you what pitt they worked in, training and employment records etc. I have written to them and they are very quick to respond and they say they are the only ones who have the records from that time available. Jo

Stan

Stan Report 9 Oct 2003 23:34

Hi Susan, I hope you find what you want on one of these sites or in Sheffield. However, I think I should mention that there were, in addition to the ones mentioned in Joan's reply, many other mines within two miles or so of Cudworth. These included Royston Drift, New Monkton 1, 2 and 6, New Monkton 3 and 4, Carlton, Monk Bretton, Barnsley Main, Dearne Valley, Great Houghton, Ferrymoor and Brierley. Some miners travelled a good deal further than that to work, even in the days before they all got cars. Best wishes Stan

Susan

Susan Report 10 Oct 2003 04:41

Thankyou everyone, Its like looking for a needle in a haystack,I was so excited coz I'd finally tracked down my g-grandfather now I'm back to square one, Oh well wish me look Sue