Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

name variations ~ dont give up!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 10 Oct 2003 16:01

hi all.... Just to say to those who dont know.. When looking on the I.G.I on the L.D.S site, the surname that you put in may be listed under a comepletely different spelling. My g g g g grandfather was called John David Karner (like his father) Ive found 8 of his siblings with surnames ranging from Karner Kerner Karnar they all have the same parents listed (sometimes with minor spelling mistakes) and the same parish where they were christened! Feel great... there are only 4 karners on the whole g.c site (3 are mine!) hope this helps someone who maybe is stuck! elaine x

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 10 Oct 2003 16:23

elaine we also found this while doing hubbys tree the variations of our surname are: mandyville,manderville,manderfield and mandefield. it gets very confusing... susie

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 10 Oct 2003 16:24

I had the same experience when doing Sillince! Even now we have a list of 48 variables just since I've been married! Unfortunately now doing Browns and just can't think how that could be mis-transcribed but I suspect it has! Sylvie

zoe

zoe Report 10 Oct 2003 17:21

I have found the same, father surname Solomon daughter birth certificate Soloman so difficult working out who is related to who with this slight variation as both exist! Good luck hunting the browns! zoë x

Sue

Sue Report 10 Oct 2003 18:29

I have Seldon transcribed as Selden, Sheldon, and even Selburn. Also Spiller as Shiller - and that's just my husband's G/Grandparents! Sue

Cazziemc

Cazziemc Report 10 Oct 2003 21:42

Hi, know the feeling well!! My mums maiden name was Gallagher (on her birth certificate). When we came to get her fathers birth certificate, turns out he was registered as Gollaker!! Couldn't find him with his parents on the 1901 census - he eventually turned up listed as Gollicker!! Nearly gave up before we started!! Carol

Janet

Janet Report 10 Oct 2003 21:48

Well - as I've said once before - it certainly keeps the grey matter working, doesn't it? My FRASI family has been found as Frase, Frast, Frosi, Frazi, Trase, Trasi, and the best one yet - my granddad, Henry Alfred Garibaldi Frasi was found as Henry Alfred Gardaldi Truse! Janet