Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dora--nickname?? does anyone know?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 12 Oct 2003 23:51

Tried asking this a few minuntes ago -- think I pressed the wrong button, as I don't see my original message. Would anyone know what "Dora" is short for -- or would it be a "full name"? Have a gt-grandmother Dora Stuart who just doesn't have any paperwork, anywhere. Also, her middle name was Emmeline but a family member referred to her as Emily. Is Emily a common nickname? Thanks for any assistance! Lisa.

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 13 Oct 2003 00:05

According to the Collins Dictionary of First Names: DORA was originally a diminutive of Dorothy and also of Theodora, but is now a name in its own right. It came into use at the beginning of the 19th century. A pet form is Dorrie, shared with other names like Doreen and Doris. EMILY became very popular in the 19th century, when it was sometimes shortened to Emma or Milly. Similar names: Emelye, Emilia, Emblem and Emblin. Emily is a shor form of Emmeline.

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 13 Oct 2003 00:12

Linda Please, I hope you do not mind me asking if you could tell me if Bessie is a nickname for anything? Thanks very much Liz

Carol

Carol Report 13 Oct 2003 00:16

Bessie is a short form of Elizabeth, but was used as a name in its own right as well

Katinahat

Katinahat Report 13 Oct 2003 00:16

Lisa. Bessie is a nickname for Elizabeth. Kathy Epsom, SRY

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 13 Oct 2003 00:17

Liz - Bessie is short for... Elizabeth! Elizabeth became common about the end of the 15th century, and its later popularity in England stemmed from the long reign of Elizabeth I. Among the many diminutives are Bess, Bessie, Betsy, Betty, Beth, Eliza, Lizzy, Liz, Libby and the Scottish Elspeth, Elspie and Elsie.

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 13 Oct 2003 00:18

Blushes with embarresment. LOL I think with my name I should have know.!!!!!! Thanks Liz/Elizabeth/Bessie/Beth/Lizzie/......................

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 13 Oct 2003 00:18

Linda, thanks so much for your help. Guess I really should get a book like that; could come in handy. THANK YOU!

Carol

Carol Report 13 Oct 2003 00:22

Way back then, a lot of short forms were used in their own right on certificates. Ones I have come across are Eliza and Lizzie (Elizabeth) Meg, Peg, Maggie (Margaret) Gerty (Gertrude)

Carol

Carol Report 13 Oct 2003 00:41

Tish I can understand for Patricia Teesh is probably a local dialect pronunciation of Tish

Maxine

Maxine Report 13 Oct 2003 09:30

Hi Lisa Dora was also short for Isadora. Regards Maxine

Sarah

Sarah Report 13 Oct 2003 12:03

Hi My g/g/grandmothers name was Cordelia. I could not find her anywhere. However in the end i found her listed as Dora. Sarah

Melba64

Melba64 Report 13 Oct 2003 13:33

My grandma was always called Nellie but her proper name was Martha Ellen. I believe the Nellie comes from Ellen. This thread has also answered another question. My grandfather had children called Ernest and Elsie and I wondered whether the daughter was named after his sister Elizabeth as his eldest brother was called Ernest and the eldest sister was Elizabeth. I see from one of the responses here that Elsie is indeed a short version of Elizabeth. Mel

Debbie

Debbie Report 13 Oct 2003 14:06

A good site for nicknames is http://www.tngenweb.org/franklin/frannick.htm

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 13 Oct 2003 16:09

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Everyone on my dad's side seemed to be named after another family member, and Dora just wasn't a name that was repeated (Emily certainly was though).

Mary

Mary Report 13 Oct 2003 20:53

Hope this helps www(.)babynamenetwork.com/index.cfm www.behindthename.com Mary