Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 lookup please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Philip

Philip Report 14 Oct 2003 21:24

Could anyone find Thomas Jardine aged about 1 or 2 in or near Bury Lancashire please? Mother possibly Elizabeth. Phil

Janet

Janet Report 14 Oct 2003 21:34

The only one I can see at the moment was living with grandparents at 15 Claremont Road, Litherland, Lancs: John Lowery, married, 61, Ships Engineer, Liverpool Lillias Lowery, wife, married, 61, Scotland Mary J. Jardine, daughter, married, 30, Liverpool. Archibald J.L. Jardine, grandson, 4, Birkdale Frank W. A. Jardine, grandson, 2, Seaforth Thomas J.M. grandson, 1, Seaforth. Jan

Philip

Philip Report 14 Oct 2003 21:43

Thanks very much Jan. It implies Mary's maiden name was Lowery, but I'm sure his mother's name was Nettleton, so I think this is a different one. Many thanks for looking. (They might be in Cheshire I suppose - Nettletons came from there).

Janet

Janet Report 14 Oct 2003 21:52

There are only two other Thomas Jardine's in the 1 or 2 age bracket, and I think their father's must be brothers. John Scott Jardine, 27 from Cumberland Isabella, 23 Thomas 2 Elizabeth 9 months and Thomas Jardine, 37, Cumberland Sarah, 37, Sussex Isabella 8 Sussex Jannett 6 Surrey Florence 4 Suffolk Thomas E 1 Suffolk Looks as if the second Isabella was named after her aunt. Jan.

Philip

Philip Report 14 Oct 2003 22:47

Actually could you please check something for me. What is the Nettleton family in Bury looking like? (William and Joanna) I suddenly have a sneaking suspicion ...

Janet

Janet Report 14 Oct 2003 22:55

No Nettletons were listed as LIVING in Bury. These are the ones listed as BORN in Bury in the 1891: Nettleton, Ellen View Image Online Relationship: Daughter-in-law County: Lancashire Age: 22 Civil Parish: Horwich Gender: Female ED: 10 Where Born: Lancashire, Bury Eccl. Parish: Holy Trinity Piece: RG12/3105 Town: Horwich Folio: 105 Page: 17 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nettleton, Jessie View Image Online Relationship: Daughter County: Lancashire Age: 19 Civil Parish: Horwich Gender: Female ED: 10 Where Born: Lancashire, Bury Eccl. Parish: Holy Trinity Piece: RG12/3105 Town: Horwich Folio: 105 Page: 17 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nettleton, Mahlon View Image Online Relationship: Wife County: Lancashire Age: 55 Civil Parish: Horwich Gender: Female ED: 10 Where Born: Lancashire, Bury Eccl. Parish: Holy Trinity Piece: RG12/3105 Town: Horwich Folio: 105 Page: 17 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nettleton, Sarah View Image Online Relationship: Daughter County: Lancashire Age: 17 Civil Parish: Horwich Gender: Female ED: 10 Where Born: Lancashire, Bury Eccl. Parish: Holy Trinity Piece: RG12/3105 Town: Horwich Folio: 105 Page: 17 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nettleton, Thomas View Image Online Relationship: Head County: Lancashire Age: 20 Civil Parish: Tottington Lower End Gender: Male ED: 6 Where Born: Lancashire, Bury Eccl. Parish: Holcombe Piece: RG12/3128 Town: Ramsbottom Folio: 47 Page: 29 Are any of these of interest? Jan

Janet

Janet Report 14 Oct 2003 22:58

78 William Nettletons listed in the 1891, 0 Joannas. Jan

Philip

Philip Report 14 Oct 2003 23:14

Fascinating! That is all the same family. In 1881 there was William and Joanna, plus children John, Elizabeth, Frederick, Thomas, Sarah, Jessie. By 1901 there was Frederick and wife Ellen in Gorton and Johanna (new spelling) still with Jessie in Horwich. I think "Mahlon" must be garbled in transcription because she is the right age. It all seems to fit except for the missing Jardines. That's wonderful. Thanks so much for your help.