Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

missing relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marcie

Marcie Report 15 Oct 2003 14:07

hi today i found out that a great uncle had two boys, as he was killed in the1st ww and did,nt marry till about 1907ish how can i look for these children i don,t know their namesl

Penny

Penny Report 15 Oct 2003 14:31

This probably isnt much help but if you searcg on cwgc for the next of kin it should give you his wifes name and their address at least you will have a few more details. Penny

Janet

Janet Report 15 Oct 2003 14:34

Do you know your great uncle's names and approx. date of birth? Jan

Marcie

Marcie Report 15 Oct 2003 15:25

hi jan yes he was frank john bunch born jul-sept 1881 marcie

Janet

Janet Report 15 Oct 2003 15:30

This is interesting, Penny. Can you always obtain details of next of kin from cwgc? If so, how do you do that? Janet

Marcie

Marcie Report 15 Oct 2003 15:34

hi penny have that no joy, i,m afraid but thanks marcie

Dave

Dave Report 15 Oct 2003 15:36

Hi Marcia, From the CWGC site:- Name: BUNCH, FRANK JOHN Initials: F J Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Private Regiment: 20th Hussars Date of Death: 13/05/1915 Service No: 4582 Additional information: Son of John Bunch, of Clapton, London; husband of Elsie Maud Bunch, of 9, Suffolk St., Hove, Sussex. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 5 Cemetery: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL This is the only Frank John Bunch killed in action in WW1 Dave

Marcie

Marcie Report 15 Oct 2003 16:34

thanks david had that no joy with suffolk address i am afraid do you know i wrote to 20 hussars for info and they said they didnt keep names of soldiers killed in the 1stww only officers can this be true

Penny

Penny Report 15 Oct 2003 17:31

Hi Janet, Next of kin are listed in about half of the cases name of parents and wife if married and address. Once you find a possible match just click on the name and it gives you any details they hold. Its an interesting site to search with any names in your family who might ahve been of a suitable fighting age. I found one great uncle whose fate we were unaware of and confirmed by the listing of his parents as next of kin. Penny

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 15 Oct 2003 19:11

may be a silly question....but what is the cwgc site

Penny

Penny Report 15 Oct 2003 19:20

Siobhan the site is http://www.cwgc.org its a debt of honour register of all soldiers killed in ww1 and ww2 including civilians from ww2 definetely worth a look .Penny

Marcie

Marcie Report 15 Oct 2003 20:36

thanks paul am going to try website now marcie x