Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a death

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 15 Oct 2003 14:49

I am looking for a needle in a haystack, in this case a death which occurred somewhere between 1923 and about 1965. I've tried LDS and FreeBMD with no success - where do I go now?

Margaret

Margaret Report 15 Oct 2003 14:57

Helen If you know where the death occurred, you can search the indexes for free at a library or county record office on microfiche. Margaret

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 15 Oct 2003 15:09

I think the county is Derbyshire - do I have to go there or can I go to my local one?

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 15 Oct 2003 19:09

nudge nudge

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 15 Oct 2003 22:42

nudge

Margaret

Margaret Report 15 Oct 2003 23:09

Helen Your local library , if they have the GRO indexes, you can check. Or, your local county record offices. The indexes have the whole of England and Wales on them. So really you need something more specific than Derbyshire, it's a big county. Margaret

Carol

Carol Report 15 Oct 2003 23:12

Is it a common surname you are looking for?

Joan Allan

Joan Allan Report 16 Oct 2003 00:57

Anyone who needs to search the electoral roll archives to see who was living at a particular address in whatever year (the war years were not collated) go to this site. http://www.earl.org.uk/familia/libraries.html The particular area will state who was living at that address in whatever year you ask for. Some will charge and other will send you information for free. Bear in mind that if you are searching for people at an address they would have to be 21 to appear on the electoral roll before 1969 - this is the year they changed the age of majority to 18.

Carol

Carol Report 16 Oct 2003 01:05

The url is not working anymore

Patricia

Patricia Report 16 Oct 2003 01:29

broken link

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 16 Oct 2003 14:12

Hello Carol, The surname is Middleton. Thanks, Joan I'll give your site a try. I forgot to say I also tried cwgc. This person's son married in 1931 and as it doesn't say the father is deceased I'm assuming he died after this date.