Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1871 Look-Up Please!! - Aldershot?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Oct 2003 20:34

I am trying to find the whereabouts of William Woodruff in 1861 and 1871. He was born in Glossop Derby c 1838. In 1870 he was stationed at Aldershot Camp and 1881 was not in army but living in Hougham, Dover, Kent. He was a serving soldier from 1857. By 1870 he was married to a lady from Limerick, Ireland, but don't know where they married or met. Where would I look for the above dates???!!!

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 15 Oct 2003 21:15

hi Your message is disappearing so I thought I'd nudge it up. Meanwhile, try beong a bit more specific in your title and change it to include the area of the census It might help Sylvie

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Oct 2003 22:50

Hi Sylvie, Thanks for that, BUT the problem is I DON'T KNOW where he was!!!!! He could have been anywhere from India in 1857 to Aldershot in 1870 and Ieland in between. He is like the illusive pimpernel!! I suppose he could have been in Aldershot in 1871 but then again!!!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2003 18:19

Nudge There mus be someone out there who can help!!!!! Would appreciate any at all.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2003 21:08

Hi Francis, Thank you for your message. My ggrandfather was born in Glossop Derby and married an Irish girl from Limerick. I do not know if they married in Ireland or England. One child, my grandfather was born at South Camp Aldershot in 1870 and the other children born when he came out of army (I think), they were born in Hougham, Kent nr. Dover. I believe there was a garrison in that area but haven't connected him to it yet. Would it be possible that Mary's family were in the army and stationed at Aldershot and that is where they met? What is the CMC? you mentioned?

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2003 21:27

Thank you Frances (sorry I spelt Your name wrong before!!!) I will do that now. Here's hoping I find something. Margaret