Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 challenge please help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 15 Oct 2003 20:34

Dear Clever People I have been looking for Henry Brown born July 1892 in Kensington on the census. He is missing from the family - as are a couple of other siblings. I have tried all the name varients I could think of and done searches on name varients of his step siblings, (one of these was found under Teach instead of Peach). I have tried aunts uncles grandparents (three sets, Browns, Coggins and Strand. I have tried the decoder in millions of ways. I have written the name down trying to find possible spellings, (that followed a reply to someone elses question!) I have assumed that I would have to spend a fortune to look at Saint Marylebone Infirmary on line? That is the nearest hospital. However, I am a comparaative novice HHHHEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP Sylvie

sparklysam

sparklysam Report 15 Oct 2003 20:59

Is kensington where you belive he was born? Or where you belive him to be of been living at the time of the census?

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 15 Oct 2003 21:12

Hello Samantha He was born in Kensington (at 7 Fowell Street) in 1892 and the rest of his family were living in Kensington at the same address at the time of the 01 census, oh and a younger step brother was born at 7 Fowell Street in 1902! It's so strange that I can't find him! By the way, he didn't die until 1960's - he was my grandfather Thanks for your interest I'm so frustrated Sylvie

Mary

Mary Report 15 Oct 2003 21:23

Hi there, There was a death registered at Kensington Jan/Mar.1894 for a Henry Brown ages 3 1a 87. Could he be one of yours Mary

sparklysam

sparklysam Report 15 Oct 2003 21:37

Is it possible there were two henrys? The first one dying at a young age and a later child your grandfather having the same name? I know that this has happend several times in my family tree! Just a thought!? I will have another look on 1901 census with info you just gave!

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 15 Oct 2003 21:43

Hello Mary No - he was still alive in 1960's. Thanks for the thought Sylvie

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 15 Oct 2003 21:46

Hello Samantha I have considered an elder, dead Henry but I think he would have been firstborn and that would have been in the early 1880's. There is precious little space in the tree otherwise. He should be in the census somewhere - I've just run out of ideas of how/where to look. If I find him - I might find some others that seem to be missing too (I've done the same sort of searches for them!!) Thanks for you thoughts Sylvie

sparklysam

sparklysam Report 15 Oct 2003 22:02

I have tried widening the age range... found a few by the right name and the right place, but dont know how the ages will fit in!? Have emailed you the details! Good luck! Sam

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 15 Oct 2003 22:04

Hello Sam Thankyou, I will go have a look at the email - if I can uncross my fingers! Sylvie

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 15 Oct 2003 22:21

Thanks Sam I can't think that he would have been listed as 2 years old but I'll go have a further look with the decoder and see if I can tie anything up. I did consider that he may have been transcribed as 18 rather than 8 and had a nose around that age - but of course he wouldn't have had an occupation so I don't think theyare him. So I'm still struggling Sylvie

sparklysam

sparklysam Report 15 Oct 2003 22:26

Well thats me all out of ideas.... Any more experienced people got any more suggestions???

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 16 Oct 2003 09:05

nudge Should I give up on this one? Sylvie

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 16 Oct 2003 14:33

Hi all Onc more nudge - in hopes Sylvie

George

George Report 16 Oct 2003 16:18

Is this a possibility: Henry Boffin 9 North Kensington Lon Berkshire Hungerford He was not living with his parents. George

Sinead

Sinead Report 16 Oct 2003 16:50

Hi, A long shot,I know but could he have been sent away to school somewhere?I know this did happen because around about the same time as you are searching my great grandmother's family was living in Merthyr Tydfil but she was in a convent in Swansea! It makes for an interesting search.Sorry, that is the only bright idea I could come up with!! Best of luck,Sinead