Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 COLWELLS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 16 Oct 2003 17:45

Would a kind person with access to 1891 Census (Ive used my one fortnight shot at it) please see if Richard and Catherine Colwell, children Richard, Frederick and Henry, all born Glamorgan except Dad (born Glos.) appear They are on the 1851 and 1861 censuses living in Glamorgan, then disappear off the face of the earth in the 1881 and 1901 censuses. Thank you.

Carol

Carol Report 16 Oct 2003 18:11

Couldnt find any on eht Wales census, but in England there is a Richard and Pricillia living in yorkshire. That was the only one born in Wales.

Carol

Carol Report 16 Oct 2003 18:18

Only 2 Catherines, 1 is 17 and born in Walworth and the other is 74 and born in Northamptonshire.

Janet

Janet Report 16 Oct 2003 18:21

Could you please give approximate dates of birth to narrow the search? I can't find anything at the moment from the information you've given. Jan.

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 16 Oct 2003 19:49

Jan: father Richard in 1891 : 69, Catherine :74, son Richard 48, Frederick 45, Charles 41, Henry 38, John 58. John couldn't be Richard's son, Dad would have been 11 when he was born! Thanks.

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 16 Oct 2003 19:50

Carol: how old was the Richard in Yorkshire please? The family had Yorkshire mining connections.

Emma

Emma Report 16 Oct 2003 20:01

Hi Dorothy, What about this? Could be a transcription error. Catherine Colville, head, wid, 76, living on her own means, Radnorshire Llanbedr Richard W Colville, son, sing, 48, railway loco clerk, Glamorgan Merthyr Tydfil 14 Station Terrace RG12/4421 Folio 122 Page 42 Middle, Ystradyfodwg Emma. p.s. there's also a Fred Colville born Merthyr aged 43 on the 1891 census.

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 16 Oct 2003 21:36

Lucy, Jan, This is an intriguing one. Catherine was actually born in Radnorshire. Ystradyfodwg has turned up in the family connections somewhere, and I thought 'oh a slightly richer section of the family' when I noticed they had a servant in the 1851 and 1861 censuses!' Shall I ever be sure of this one? Thanks Carol for Richard and Priscilla. A cousin I think. I'll check the 1901 for them. Lucy, can you explain what the address is at the bottom. Is it where she was living in 1891?. I'm a bit thick this late in the day. Thanks for finding what I would have never found.

Emma

Emma Report 16 Oct 2003 21:39

Hi Dorothy, Yes that's the address in 1891 plus the reference number for the schedule.

Emma

Emma Report 16 Oct 2003 21:43

Just a quick note - Richard Colville aged 58 born Merthyr is on the 1901 census in Pontypridd.