Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old Church St Pancras - info please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 16 Oct 2003 18:00

Where are the parish records kept c 1850? Thanks Sylvie

Emma

Emma Report 16 Oct 2003 18:13

London Metropolitan Archives I think

Helen

Helen Report 16 Oct 2003 18:14

I think my local LDS centre in Sheffield has a fiche for this church. It was certainly a church in St Pancras area, I was looking at it last week. Dates were something like 1750-1890 as a guess. Would you like me to have a look for you next time I visit? Probably will be in a couple of weeks when the film I've ordered comes in.

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 16 Oct 2003 18:27

Thank you ( I must get up to the LMA!) and yes please - when you next go in I'd like the details of the marriage between Henry Brown and Mary Squire. 3rd July 1854. Old Church St Pancras. Any details appreciated but I think they lied about their ages!!! Thanks so much Sylvie

Hilary

Hilary Report 16 Oct 2003 19:30

What religion was this Church? Also if you were of another faith, was this the Parish Church where you all bmd's had to be listed? I am trying to find Catholic records from that area but as it was illegal to be of this faith until around 1832 (*), I am wondering if ther records would be included here? (*) The lady in the Catholic Library near Euston station, gave me this info.

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 16 Oct 2003 19:39

I have quite a few christenings and marriages for this church. I don't think that any of my lot who got married there were catholic, I'm sure they were C of E. I think the church may still be there, if it is I will be going there in a couple of weeks, if anyone wants photo's I will be pleased to pass them on to anyone that wants them. Let me know Lynda

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 16 Oct 2003 20:12

Hi Lynda - our paths cross again! It is still there - I just found a website with photo's but can't remember where but I suspect a search engine would bring it up Sylvie

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 16 Oct 2003 20:30

Sylvie, Thought I had seen it, in fact I was born in the area and I think I know where the church is, I'm sure it's on a bus route, on the main Road. Am I right in thinking it is still open? If so I will ring and ask if I can look at the records. My Catholic side of the family I am reesearching has been very helpful in sharing there records, even offered to open the church so I can have a "rumage" in the records. Hope the C of E's are as helpful!! Lynda

Tracy

Tracy Report 16 Oct 2003 22:57

St Pancras Old Church is behind St Pancras Station. There is a newer church (also St Pancras) on Euston Road opposite Euston Station. This is of classical design with caryatids (spelling??). They had to exhume a lot of bodies when St Pancras Station and railway line were built, as the line cut through the old churchyard. I'm sure that I read recently that new work in the area for the Channel Tunnel rail link further threatens the remaining graves, and I believe these were also now being exhumed. Tracy

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 16 Oct 2003 23:08

Unfortunately the web site for this church is no longer available. Great pity as it had some photographs and a lot of information about the church, the progress being made with the building work and the story of St.Pancras. There was an interesting and humourous poem about the exhumations as well. It looks as though lack of funds is the reason for the site no longer being available. Kathleen

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 16 Oct 2003 23:17

Tracey Is the old church still "open for business" Lynda

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 17 Oct 2003 08:46

Hi Linda Details of serives (so it must be open) at www.kingscrosslondon.com/residents/worship.html I found the site for the photos too http://srv2.lycoming.edu/~lewes/shelleysites/londonpancras.htm The address was longer than that but I'm sure you can navigate from there Sylvie

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Oct 2003 10:07

Sylvie My great grandparents married in this church in 1853. I obtained a copy of their marriage certificate from the Registrar's Office, Town Hall, Judd St, London WC1H 9JE, Tel 020 7974 1900. Richard

Deborah

Deborah Report 17 Oct 2003 14:11

My great great grandfather was married here , all his children christened and married here too. I am hoping to trace the parish records very soon and would be grateful if you would let me know if they are at the LMA. I went to the church recently but unfortunately it was closed. I thought it looked lovely and wll be going back soon, this time with a camera when it is open!