Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

anyone any good at deciphering writing on CERTS???

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 16 Oct 2003 20:18

I have a certficate which i saved from scotlands people which is for the marriage of my Great Great Great Grandparents, but I am having great difficulty in reading the writing to decipher their mothers names, the maiden names are fine it is the forenames I just can't work out. I can't trace these any further until i decipher the names.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2003 20:21

Hi Siobhan, Is it from Scotlands People? Regards Margaret

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 16 Oct 2003 20:23

margaret yes it is

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2003 20:28

I am happy to try and look at it if you want to send me it as an attachment (not that I am any expert!). You can also write to SP with the full ref details and they will tell you what it says. The other option is to post a message on the discussion board with the same details and sometimes someone will look at it from there. Hope that helps. Regards Margaret

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 16 Oct 2003 20:29

which part of the discussion groups would be the best place to post

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2003 20:31

I would put it under general searching.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 16 Oct 2003 20:35

margaret, I have e.mailed the certificate, hope you can open it, you may need the djvu viewer. actually you won't need djvu viewer thats for 1837 LOL. See how confused I get myself

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 16 Oct 2003 21:36

Margaret I am gonna try resaving the file, as a more readable document, see if you can open it then

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2003 21:59

Didn't get anything from you yet?

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 16 Oct 2003 22:05

Hi I don't mind having a go - I'm good at reading doctors writing and their hand is pretty illegible! Sylvie

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 16 Oct 2003 22:07

just sent it to you now margaret, was having trouble getting back onto my timeline on scotlands people

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2003 22:51

What's the problem with the Timeline?

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 16 Oct 2003 22:52

I couldn't get into my timeline, but it is fine now....i have sent you the cert again, you should be able to open it this time

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2003 22:56

Didn't you get my e-mail with the names (what I can see anyway)?

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 16 Oct 2003 23:00

not yet I didn't anyway :0(

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2003 23:03

I sent this half an hour ago?? I think I have got most of it - John Thomson Lawyer? - don't think Lawyer is right - would have said Solicitor? Easter ???son M.S. Johnston Deceased William Rutherford Church Officer Deceased and Jessie Rutherford MS Douglas What do you think? Regards Margaret

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 16 Oct 2003 23:09

definately the right surnames.........jessie sounds good....dunno bout the other though...could be Susan maybe Alison...bit scruffy writing to figure out. Thanks again Margaret. See you all tommorrow

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2003 23:16

It's not a christian name as that is Easter. It has to be a surname. It should be Thomson but it doesn't look like it. All the other names I'm pretty sure about. You do know what M.S. is - Maiden Surname. Regards Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2003 23:33

The occupation is - Sawyer - a worker in timber pit or sawmill I am now pretty sure that the name is Thomson. I think its just that the t&h are squashed together. Regards Margaret

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 17 Oct 2003 09:35

Only just seen them replys margaret. Is there a christian name "Easter" then never heard of that. The surname is definately thomson, because Helen and William the ones marrying had a child Jessie Douglas Thomson. So it is just the first names of the mothers I can't work out