Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How Many Connections Have You Found On GC?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Oct 2003 07:54

Just wondered how many people have made good connections since being on GC? I have over 300 names on here (I know it's not a lot compared to some!) and haven't found any connections yet. I am also doing a tree for my sister-in-law and with less than 50 names, I found two connections. It is not a very common name. That was really exciting but would have been more exciting had it been my own. Happy searching :0) Regards Margaret

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 17 Oct 2003 08:11

Sadly no connections at all either. Keep hoping!

Susan

Susan Report 17 Oct 2003 08:13

I have one definate and two possible Sue

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 17 Oct 2003 08:14

If I can confirm that my family was from Essex, then I have found one contact so far. I haven't bothered to check my Brown, Cooper, and Morgan surnames yet -- that will have to wait until I have more time. Just making that one contact would satisfy me, as I have been researching that line for years. I wish you the best in your search!!

Peter

Peter Report 17 Oct 2003 08:19

What about this then, had one connection, and it was the very first person I contacted, now go back to the 1600s in one quantun leap. Peter

Annie

Annie Report 17 Oct 2003 08:24

Cor! (Green with envy!) I've had four very useful connections and a few really good discussions with people. Twice discovered I had got the 'wrong' person on my tree after comparing families with others. I'd also like to know how it is that .. when I click on the names summary (and I've got over 150 surnames here) they all seem to have New Names apart from the 4 surnames for my immediate ancestors and the 4 for my husband's !!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy hunting, some day your links will come! Ann

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 17 Oct 2003 08:32

I have had contact with a cousin I did know of and we have talked about family. Have also made contact with or been contacted by 2 people searching for the same tree and have turned out to be 2nd cousins - we all share the same Great Grandparents and we have been able to add to each other's details on the trees. There are 2 other 2nd cousins, one from the same tree and one from another that are on GC but have made contact from other sources. So I am quite happy that I have some family out there now as well as finding there were others long ago. I hope to meet up with one person soon and where else could we meet other than the FRO! Jacky

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 17 Oct 2003 08:55

I've had three One neice doing the same branch but not as far as me One nephew his paternal family so no link really and one contact that took my mother's family back to the 1600's. That was magnificent. Unfortunately none that has furthered my tree though Sylvie

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 17 Oct 2003 09:16

I HAVE FOUND TWO DISTANT COUSIN'S ONE FROM EACH SIDE AND I'M CHUFFED TO BITS ANN,DARLINGTON Oops sorry forgot caps lock was on!!

BrianW

BrianW Report 17 Oct 2003 10:17

So far, two second cousins on my wife's side, one in UK the other in Oz.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 17 Oct 2003 10:22

I have too find NO connections, there were a few that looked like they were, but once I e.mailed them and got osme more details I found out they weren't. Oh well I still love GC, i wouldn't of met all you lovely people otherwise. :o)

George

George Report 17 Oct 2003 10:22

I am not bragging honestly but have been extremely lucky. I have just recounted trees open to me and there are 41 contacts all connected in one form or another. It all depends on how many surnames you are researching and how many are on your tree. Keep the faith with GC more are joining all the time. George

Valerie

Valerie Report 17 Oct 2003 10:33

Have one possible connection to family through GC, but have enjoyed contact with people doing the same thing, and found their help fantastic. A great group, may I say of friends. Valerie

Janet

Janet Report 17 Oct 2003 10:35

Very soon after putting my tree onto GC I was claimed separately by two first cousins once removed. They are both great granddaughters of my grandfather's brother, whom I hadn't even known existed until a few weeks previously. They said that I had broken a brick wall in their trees, because my side of the family had been lost for years. And I didn't know I was lost, because I knew where I was all the time. I must say, though, that it was very spooky seeing my father's name on their trees, when I didn't even know of their existence. We are now in regular email contact with one another. Jan.

George

George Report 17 Oct 2003 10:44

I've found three new relatives through this site and one through FriendsReunited. George

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 17 Oct 2003 10:46

Have found two possible and one of these am 99% certain of connection but she won't respond to e-mails, still it's her loss cos I have mor info than she does

Barbara

Barbara Report 17 Oct 2003 11:54

I found my cousin through friends reunited and we have done well in researching our branch of the family. I have a number of contacts who hare hanging on by a leaf in that we are sure we will find a link one day! I also found a lady who was not direcly connected, but I was able to put her in touch with another chap who I had met. But I think the help I have had on here not to mention reading all the tips has helped me to find other ways of finding my family which is just as important Anyway, I'd like to say a big thankyou to everyone!!

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 17 Oct 2003 11:59

I have been found by a cousin who had already done considerable research on my paternal grandmother's family and kindly provided me with certificates etc. going back to the 1700's. I found another cousin from the same side of the family who was able to provide family photographs and information, so between the three of us lots of bits of the jigsaw have been put into place! Thanks Peter and Robert! And another cousin from my paternal grandfather's side, contacted me through FriendsReunited and she, in turn, has reunited me with other members of my family and provided family photographs and information. Thanks Jan and Brian! And thanks GC for the site, without which none of this would have happened! Thanks also to all of YOU, for your help, advice, fun and friendship, and good luck to all of you hoping to find connections. Dierdre X

Gen

Gen Report 17 Oct 2003 12:06

Hi Everyone, I am pleased to say I have a success story, a far removed cousin has contacted me and his tree links with mine, it has not helped with my brick walls but has made my tree far wider if not longer. It is very exciting and I hope everyone else has the same luck. Best of luck Gen

Janet

Janet Report 17 Oct 2003 12:17

I'd like to echo the sentiments of Barbara and Deirdre. The help and suggestions made by everyone on this site opens new avenues daily. I've discovered information I would never have discovered without your help. As far as connections I've made - well - I've made one definite connection on GC, with the great-granddaughter of my Grandfather's brother. The information from this source, however, was very limited, but did confirm some assumptions of mine. I've also made a connection with a second-cousin I didn't know I had, via Friends Reunited, BUT the most successful one was with the great-granddaughter of my grandfather's youngest sister, which was through Gencircles. She was actively researching, and we filled many gaps in information for each other. We are actively working together, gradually joining up the pieces of jigsaw, and have come on in leaps and bounds, sharing certificates and photographs. She recently went to Australia to visit her grandfather's sister (the daughter of my grandfather's sister) and has come back with more information and photographs than we could possibly have hoped for! Janet