Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please could someone check a YORKSHIRE or a DURHAM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katie

Katie Report 17 Oct 2003 16:48

Hello again, I am trying to trace my stepmothers family which is proving difficult as I do not know much about them. ~~~Please see next message~~~

Katie

Katie Report 17 Oct 2003 17:10

I have pestered my stepmothers father and found some information but as none of my other rellies come from DURHAM or YORKSHIRE I have no access to censuses other than the 1881, 1891 and 1901. Here is the info I have, and if anyone can please tell me any additional info then I would be truly grateful. JOHN LOVE b1830 Sligo, Ireland (married) ANNE ??? b1832 Sligo, Ireland. (their kids were:) Mary A Love b in Durham Catherine Love b in Durham Ellen Love b in Durham Polley Love b in Durham Maggey Love b in Durham Thomas Love b in Durham JOHN LOVE born in 1861 in Durham JOHN LOVE b 1861 in Durham married PAULINA b 1861 Lancs. (their kids were:) JOHN T LOVE b 1883 in KEIGHLEY, YORKS Mary A Love b yorks Edith A Love b yorks Alice A Love b yorks Frederick Love b yorks Mabel Love? b yorks Edmund Love? b yorks Bertie Love? b yorks JOHN T LOVE b1883 Keighley, Yorks married UNKNOWN (their kids were:) JOHN LOVE b1902 KEIGHLEY, YORKS He married LILIAN WOODLEY b1908 East Meon (their kids were:) POPPY LOVE b INDIA (died in infancy) FRED LOVE b INDIA JOHN LOVE b 1928 in DEVoNPORT JOHN LOVE b1928 in Devonport married JOYCE GRUMMITT b 1929 in Portsmouth. (Their kids were:) Michael John, Richard and CAROLYN LOVE. ---- I really need any info from the 1851 or 1861 DURHAM census. Please help if you can - I am perfectly willing to do 1891 lookups for anyone that needs them as I don't like asking for help without returning the gesture! :0) Thank you all so much. -Kat

Chris

Chris Report 17 Oct 2003 23:50

Kat Is that Durham City,or the county of Durham Chris

Stan

Stan Report 18 Oct 2003 00:33

Hi, Katrina, I can't go back as far as you need, but here is a small piece of information you don't appear to have. John Thomas Love was married in Jul-Sep 1902 to either Emma Smith or Rebecca Wright (Keighley 9a 388). John Love was born Oct-Dec 1902 (Keighley 9a 178). Best wishes Stan

Katie

Katie Report 18 Oct 2003 00:34

Chris, It is just listed on the other censuses as 'durham,' so I guess its county? I fail miserably when it comes to geography though, so your guess is as good as mine! Take Care, -Kat

Katie

Katie Report 18 Oct 2003 00:40

Thank you Stan! Where did you get that info from (if you don't mind me asking)? And any idea how I can find out which of those women he married without ordering the cert? Best Wishes, -Kat

Stan

Stan Report 18 Oct 2003 01:02

Hi, Kat The marriage info. is on FreeBMD. I did check it with '1837', and thought I would check the birth as well while I was about it. I think you will need the certificate, unless you are prepared to wait until they put it on Yorkshire BMD, which gives the names of spouses. I have looked at Hugh Wallis batch numbers for Durham City, but there are no records late enough to show the Love family. However, as you say, they may be elsewhere in the County. Do you know if they were Roman Catholic? That would cut down the christening seach quite a lot. Best wishes Stan

Katie

Katie Report 18 Oct 2003 01:28

Hi Stan, I'm afraid that the above info is all I know about them. It's my stepmothers family you see, and I don't know much about their history. Trouble is that the certs are so expensive - and I'm a student (an occupation synonymous with 'broke!') My step-grandad (the last John Love) didn't know anything much other than his father and grandfathers names - so I was really starting from scratch. Thanks for the info though, I'll look into getting that marriage cert. Kindest regards, -Kat