Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nether Hallam Barracks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teresa In Canada

Teresa In Canada Report 17 Oct 2003 18:14

Are there any military buffs here who can tell me about the Barracks in Sheffield. I have found a relative there on the 1891 census. Where do I look for service records?

Helen

Helen Report 17 Oct 2003 19:50

Teresa I think these barracks are about a mile away from me in the Hillsborough area of Sheffield (Morrisons Supermarket and offices today). Just checked some Census entries for members of my family who lived on the same road (Langsett Road) and it does come under the Nether Hallam Census area, although I have never heard them referred to by this name, always just been Hillsborough Barracks. I will try and find out a bit more and get back to you later (ringing Mum to ask her a quick question usually takes at least half an hour LOL)

Helen

Helen Report 17 Oct 2003 20:04

This site has photos w w w . h e d g e r o w . c o . u k Just key 'Hillsborough Barracks' into the search at the top of the page. Also info from another site - barracks had their own church but the church that kept records for soldiers and their families was St John the Baptist, Owlerton. Christening records from 1874 and marriages from 1876. I will be visiting my local LDS Centre in a couple of weeks, if you need any Sheffield records looking up I can try there for you, let me know details.

Teresa In Canada

Teresa In Canada Report 17 Oct 2003 20:45

Thanks Helen; I will check out the website. Any help you can give me would be great.