Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What happened to illegitimate children in the earl

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Oct 2003 00:17

I can't find my gt gt grandfather! Or more precisely I can't find his birth registration. Spent a whole load of credits on 1837 today searching from beginning of 1837 to end of 1839 (he should have been born c.1838 according to the 1881 and 1901 census). On the census' he was using the name Frederick but I suspect he may have been born as William. I also have a sneaking suspicion he may have been illegitimate. So, I was wondering what would happen to illegitimate children at that time. Jeanette

Carol

Carol Report 18 Oct 2003 00:22

Is it possible that the name you have is not the name he was registered as. He may have been adopted, and you have his adoptive name.

Mary

Mary Report 18 Oct 2003 00:28

Hi there, Registration of Births was not compulsory when it started in 1837, it was many years later before it was. If you cannot find him in the GRO records then the chances are that he was not registered and the only way you will find him is by searching the parish where he was born. It was 1875 when it became compulsory, and it was nearly all illigitemate births that did not register Mary

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Oct 2003 00:55

Mary - thought it may boil down to the parish registers. Carol - He was on the 1881 and 1901 census' as Frederick Lock born Ridge, Herts. So I put in a search on the Hugh Wallis site and it came up with a William Frederick Nicholl Lock, christened 1.4.1838 Ridge, Herts, mother Hannah Lock, father Nicholl. Maybe I'm being a bit presumtuous thinking they are the same person. I haven't been able to varify this yet as I haven't been able to find his marriage either.

Penny

Penny Report 18 Oct 2003 07:32

Hi Carol, Possibly a siily question but what is the Hugh Wallis site? Thanks penny

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 18 Oct 2003 23:39

A nudge as I would like to know what the Hugh Wallis site is too Ann,Darlington

George

George Report 18 Oct 2003 23:46

http://freepages(.)genealogy(.)rootsweb(.)com/~hughwallis/ remove brackets George

Francesca

Francesca Report 19 Oct 2003 01:04

I have just found a few more of my ancestors thanks to the Hugh Wallis site. Thanks for that. Fran

John

John Report 19 Oct 2003 06:46

Interesting site and lots of hits in the last 18 months. Who is Hugh Wallis though? Thanks for the address GS!

Penny

Penny Report 19 Oct 2003 08:42

Thanks ,off to have a look but who is Hugh Wallis!! Penny