Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Inconsistent Data Entry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 18 Oct 2003 12:19

Each to their own, of course. But does anybody else find searching frustrating? There seems to be quite a bit of inconsistency in data input on this site, particularly for counties. Some members use the full county name, others the generally accepted abbreviation, e.g. Berks, and some the Chapman County Code, e.g. BRK. I'm sure GC could overcome this problem with a drop-down list of counties from which members could select their option. David

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Oct 2003 12:26

Hi David, I think the drop down menus would be fantastic. Maybe if we all shout loud enough...... Regards Margaret

Rachel

Rachel Report 18 Oct 2003 12:35

David I'v thought this myself, it would help a great deal if we could all use the drop down menus, and there was a specific format to place to birth. The main problem is that loading the Gedcom files would be a nightmare because they wouldn't be able to fit in the format. Another problem would be where people weren't entirely sure of the specific details, they might struggle to put names on without being able to fill in all the sections. Also does anyone else find it frustrating when searching the surnames and you have to click on each initial letter? I know you can do a different search using the box on the top left but this doesn't include the names that you put on. Sorry for moaning Rachel

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 18 Oct 2003 13:50

Another county question - because county borders change wildly, does everyone put the county as it was back then? Does that make sense?

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 18 Oct 2003 13:58

Kathryn I would say yes. If you put details in as they appear on the certificate or other document you shouldn't go wrong. That said, I have always been a bit confused about a couple of certificates I have which refer to the counties of Portsmouth and Southampton. Since the Chapman County Code list does not recognise these, I have used Hampshire instead. I am sure there are a few other oddities like this. David

Janet

Janet Report 18 Oct 2003 14:13

Hi, Another thing that I find annoying is comma's. e.g. Anywhere, Anyplace will show up differently to Anywhere Anyplace. So you have to search maybe 3 different places in a place of birth search, with comma, without comma and county abbreviation. A standard way would be very nice. Janet