Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where did Uncle George go???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Neil

Neil Report 18 Oct 2003 14:42

I'm looking for some help with a brother of my great grandfather who was living with my great grandfather in the 1901 census, but who I cannot find in the 1891 census. It is driving me nuts!! Ther person's name is George Tyler born 1856 in Baldock, Herts. He is a navvy living in Edmonton in the 1901 census, with his son Fred, born 1884, Baldock. He is described as married, but his wife is not living with them. I have found a reference to both George's and Fred's baptisms to confirm their parents. It appears that Fred was actually Ernest Frederick and was the son of George and Eliza Tyler, baptised 12 October 1884. I cannot find George, Eliza of Fred (or Ernest!) in the 1891 census - can anyone offer me some help with this one -- Please!? Best wishes Neil

Annie

Annie Report 18 Oct 2003 16:54

Neil Well I have had a look for you as well but turned up NOTHING either - tried every variety of spelling I could think of. I have to say though that my gg grandmother turned up on the 1891 with the surname of the people living in the house next door! It was only because her first name was v unusual as was her place of birth that I was able to search someone so specific. Good luck, maybe someone out there will have a local cd that might have them on it. Ann

Neil

Neil Report 18 Oct 2003 16:57

Thanks for looking, anyway, Ann. I think this will be a tricky one to track down!! Neil

Rachel

Rachel Report 18 Oct 2003 17:51

If you could find Ernest Fred's birth being registered you could order his certificate to see what sort of a job his dad had. He could well have been away at census time (army, navy, hiding under the table when the man with the clipboard came round ;) ) you'd also get his mothers maiden name, she might have been staying with her parents if hubbie was away? (and mother & child be wrongly transcribed with her parents surname) Don't know if thats gonna help? Rachel

Neil

Neil Report 18 Oct 2003 18:04

Rachel I think you are right about them playing hard to get!! I think that they were the sort that would have hidden under the table when the census man was coming round, and also the sort that didn't register their children's births! Talk about frsutrating! Thank you very much for the ideas, though. I hadn't thought about looking on freebmd. Best wishes Neil