Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which number do I look for

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cleo

Cleo Report 18 Oct 2003 16:07

Hi can anyone help me. I had a brief visit to the BMD centre in London earlier in the year but didn't have enough time to look for everything so have decided to look on 1837 website for my Gt Grandfather Benjamin Wilson. I have his entry on the 1901 census (by which time he was living in Leytonstone) where it states he was born in Lancs Manchester. Family stories had it that he originally came from Bury in Lancs and that is where the 3 of his childrens birhplaces are on this census. What number should I be looking for on the index to find the right area. He married my gt Grandmother in 1903 and had a second family who lost touch with the first family. I would love to find out more from before 1901. Benjamin Wilson was born 10/06/1859 his father was also Benjamin Wilson and I can find no trace of him until the 1901 Census in Leytonstone. His youngest child by his first wife Amelia (also called Amelia) was 13 at the time of the 1901 census and her birthplace is given as Lancs Bury- I don't know quite when the family made the move to Leytonstone- Cleo

Rachel

Rachel Report 18 Oct 2003 16:15

Cleo I think that Bury have their own Reg Office, it'll probably begin with 8, depending on when your gr gandfather was born. It might be worth looking on FreeBMD first, as if he's on there it'll save you spending too many credits on 1837. Also Genuki have a list of all the Reg offices and that will give you the relevant vol nos. If you post some of his details on here, I'm sure somebody will be able to help you to find him! Good luck Rachel

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Oct 2003 16:15

Cleo I think Bury is 8c and Manchester is 8d Jeanette

Cleo

Cleo Report 18 Oct 2003 16:37

Thank you both - I've tried Freebmd with no success - it is so frustrating as I know his birthdate 10/06/1859 so I imagine his registration would have gone into the Sept quarter but the only entries here are 9b and 7b and Wilson is such a common name. I also know that his fathers name was also Benjamin Wilson from his marriage cert to my gt Grandmother but I really need his mothers maiden name and his birthplace to go back any further. Thanks for your advice Cleo

Margaret

Margaret Report 18 Oct 2003 17:42

Cleo Remember that you have the place name as well as the number in the index. Lancs area is an 8 but the name of the registration district is there as well. Margaret

Cleo

Cleo Report 18 Oct 2003 17:49

Thanks Margret, Unfortunately, my geography is not that good, I've never been to that part of the country and also these dates are handwritten and not typed!! I have really hit a brick wall with this man and I am feeling quite frustrated. I have thought to find one of his children from this first marriage to see if I can then find him on an earlier census. Thanks for your help Cleo

Annie

Annie Report 18 Oct 2003 17:54

Hi Could they have been in Stoke Newington in 1891? I have Benjamin 31 Ind.. superintendent born Manchester Amelia wife 31 born Manchester Helah (Helan?) 10 born Manchester Frances A 8 born Bury Harry 5 born Bury Amelia 3 born Bury all at 29 Dumont Street, Stoke Newington Sadly I think the eldest was born after the 1881 census Best wishes A

Cleo

Cleo Report 18 Oct 2003 19:44

Ann, You are a diamond this is my family!!!! - On the 1901 census the eldest child was given as Stella, however in some notes made my Grandmother she had the name as Helia which I've never heard of. I don't know where Stoke Newington is at the moment so I'm just off to have a look. Does anyone have any ideas on the occupation of Benjamin Wilson at the time of the 1901 census he was a Billiard Marker which appears to be a bit dodgy!!!

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Oct 2003 20:28

Stoke Newington in in London Caroline

Annie

Annie Report 18 Oct 2003 21:29

Oh wow! thrilled I could help. Helia - is a name taken from the Greek - meaning Sunny or 'of the sun'. Best wishes Ann ( whose husband used to live in Stoke Newington!)

BrianW

BrianW Report 18 Oct 2003 21:30

Stoke Newington is in north London, slightly to the east. If you look at a London map and find Liverpool St. station and go north up the main road it's there. My father was born there in 1911 and lived there until he married my mother in 1941 and moved to Leyton, my cousin was still in the same house in Stoke Newington until the 1960s. Mum lived in Leytonstone.

Cleo

Cleo Report 18 Oct 2003 21:34

Thanks, I managed to find Stoke Newington on a map - and a big big thanks again Ann for finding them on the 1891 census. Was this census taken at a different time of year to the 1881 one? As Helia was 10 on this census yet 21 on the 1901 one? I'm learning new stuff all the time today!!!

Annie

Annie Report 18 Oct 2003 21:43

I think 1891 was 5th April, but I wouldn't concern yourself too much about inconsistency with ages, some of them are way out. My husbands ancestor was 56 on 1881 census, 67 on 1891 census and 69 on 1901 - by the time she died in 1910 she was 87 (erm?) A

Cleo

Cleo Report 18 Oct 2003 21:53

Ann, I was wondering more why you said the eldest child appeared to have been born after 1881 census - I'm confused!!!

Annie

Annie Report 18 Oct 2003 22:23

I said that I thought she had been born after the 1881 census was taken because I can't find her on it! And as you said there are a number of Benjamins that could fit the bill. If Helia had been born early in the year then she would have shown up. I did search on Hella and Ella and Celia - but, you never know, she might be there somewhere. You could try a search on 1837 online but it is pay per view. If you searched all the quarters for 1880 and 1881 you ought to find her. Her birth cert would give mum's maiden name and then you could search for their marriage!

Cleo

Cleo Report 18 Oct 2003 22:30

Ann, Thanks - sorry I didn't realise that you had looked here for me as well, you really are a star. I have a reference for France's birth which I found on freeBMD so I could find Amelia's maiden name that way but it is really Benjamins birth I want (I'm being greedy I know!!) as without it I can't go back any further as I know his father was also a Benjamin Wilson from his 2nd marriage cert. although senior was deceased by then

Annie

Annie Report 18 Oct 2003 22:44

Hey !!! I found Helia's birth April quarter 1880 Manchester 8d page 307 you owe me 50 p. I would guess they were married within a couple of years prior to that. And there is a Benjamin Wilson manchester 8d p 371 July 1879. The marriage cert ought to tell you their ages but sometimes it just says 'full' ie over 21 anyway. Am just thinking you might need a trip to an LDS research centre if you are getting back to pre-1837 in your search ... A

Cleo

Cleo Report 19 Oct 2003 11:15

Ann, Thank you so so much you have been so kind - I had to log off last night to speak to my husband!!!! I was going to look for Helia's birth this morning as I thought it might give me an address in Manchester. I do need to do some proper research now on several of my lines trouble is I live in Jersey C.I. so popping to London is quite expensive!!! Thanks again for all your help I was getting bogged down and your advice has given me some lines to follow. I am very impressed at my first time using this tips board. Cleo

Annie

Annie Report 19 Oct 2003 12:51

Hiya Glad to be of service! Tell you what .. if you ever think you can advise me on an ancestor who is described as a 'native of Jersey' mid 1800s please let me know and I'll email you privately! Good luck Ann