Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Men's names beginning with E

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michele

Michele Report 18 Oct 2003 16:56

Hi all I am trying to do a search for an E Oakley, of whom I have a photo, on 1901 census. I have no idea what the E stands for and can only guess at his age by the date of the photo 22/08/1890. To do a wildcard search I must have at least 2 letters for his first name. I have used Ed as this is the most obvious - this brought up Edmond, Edwin, Edward, Edgar. Can anyone give me another male name starting with E? Of course there is no guarantee his surname will have been transcribed right, his older brother was found under Oaxley. Have found 2 of his sisters today on 1901 both unmarried in their 30's but he was not with either. Any name suggestions?

Cleo

Cleo Report 18 Oct 2003 17:01

Where does your E Oakley come from as Celtic names could be EO as in Eoin?

Rosi

Rosi Report 18 Oct 2003 17:02

The two I immediately thought of were Ebenezer and Eric - but how about just trying Ea, Eb, EF. etc. with wildcards, all the way through the alphabet. Ooh- praps he was an Egbert! Good Luck - Rosi

Cleo

Cleo Report 18 Oct 2003 17:03

You could try EA as in Earnest?

Neil

Neil Report 18 Oct 2003 17:04

Eli, Ephraim, Ernest, Eric? Best wishes Neil

Andy

Andy Report 18 Oct 2003 17:06

Ernest is another possibility.

George

George Report 18 Oct 2003 17:07

Here's as many as I can think of and find: Edward, Edwin, Eli, Ebenezer, Ernest, Edgar, Edmund, Eric, Elliott, Eugene, Evan. There are other more weird and unusual names but those are the most common. George

Michele

Michele Report 18 Oct 2003 17:18

Wow! I was only gone a few mins having a look at Rosi's census query and have come back to find numerous new E's . many thanks to all of you. i shall keep searching for him. Just branching out a bit really as it is his brother Frank who married into my Coventry's. The photos I have from my gt grandfather are wonderful but also frustrating as at times he put the full name and other times just an initial and surname. His father, John, was from Kent and his mother, Clara nee Phelps, was born on the island of Madeira as a Brit Subject. Have also found one of her sisters on 1901 today. The photo E? is in also has 3 of my Coventry's in, as well as a couple of Bagshawe's, 2 other Oakley's and an M. Barthorp. It was taken at Wormhill Vicarage as one of the Bagshawe's was Rev. P.E.Bagshawe

Debbi

Debbi Report 18 Oct 2003 17:21

wot about ENGLEBERT.lol

Michele

Michele Report 18 Oct 2003 17:25

5 Engelbert's born in London under the age of 40 in 1901 none of them an Oakley. One is only 1m old poor mite! lol michele

George

George Report 18 Oct 2003 17:36

I did a search on Oakley, b London, age 30, plus or minus 10yrs: Edmund Oakley 20 London Greenwich London Greenwich Photographic Dealers Assist Ernest Oakley 24 Islington London Middlesex Wood Green Painter Coachman Edward Oakley 25 London Vauxhall Dorset Bryanston Footman Ernest Oakley 27 London Bow London Islington Builders Carmar Edward Oakley 31 London Kensington London Kensington Labourer Good Works Earnest Oakley 35 London Kensington London Fulham Corn Dealers Carman Edward Oakley 36 London Warwickshire Caldecote Living On Own Means Any of them possible? George

Rachel

Rachel Report 18 Oct 2003 17:39

They might have been religious - Emmanuel ;)

Margaret

Margaret Report 18 Oct 2003 17:40

Michele Have you considered that you may not be able to find him on the 1901 census as he was fighting in the boar war. My grandmother's brother is missing. I know he wasn't dead as he was still alive when I was small. I remember him. Margaret

Michele

Michele Report 18 Oct 2003 17:56

Thanks for yet more suggestions. Yes they were from a religious family, the father, John, was a Clerk in Holy Orders and I have come across a Roland Oakley who was a "priest in the Church of England" in the 1901. One of the other Oakley's in the picture is an R. Oakley.

Julie

Julie Report 18 Oct 2003 18:45

I have several Erasmus's on my tree! julie t:)

Sian

Sian Report 18 Oct 2003 19:56

Elias????

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 18 Oct 2003 20:02

Hi Michelle. If you think he was over the age of 20 in 1901, have you tried looking for his father John (or his brother) on the 1881 census? Maybe that will reveal a boy with a name begining with E...

George

George Report 18 Oct 2003 20:09

1881: John OAKLEY Head M Male 42 Wolverhampton, Stafford, England Minister Of Catholic Church Elizabeth OAKLEY Wife M Female 48 Hatherleigh, Devon, England Minister Of Catholic Church Wife Elizabeth J. OAKLEY Daur U Female 18 Wolverhampton, Stafford, England Minister Of Catholic Church Daur -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 123 Highbury Quadrant Census Place London, Middlesex, England

Katie

Katie Report 18 Oct 2003 20:12

Hi, Don't discount ANY names - my family are all from the UK but I have an Ezekiel in my tree who was known also as Eykee! They certinly had some unusual names! Good Luck! -Kat

Helen

Helen Report 18 Oct 2003 20:49

Just to confuse matters a little more, Evelyn was also used as a boys name! Checked 1901 and there are lots.