Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Card Indexes/Family Group Sheets/Reference Numbers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 19 Oct 2003 11:39

Dear All Unfortunately, I have really got carried away with my research and all my info to date has just been placed in plastic wallets waiting to be put into some type of written format. As I now have two bulging folders, I feel it is more than time to get my backside into gear and do something about it. Only problem is I do not know which system to use. Can anyone recommend a good way in which to organise it and how to preserve those precious documents?! Helen

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 19 Oct 2003 11:46

I too have my info in plastic wallets within a folder. I have divided it up into sections, certificates for each line, contacts with new rellies, photos, my notes I have also brought an index box with cards but I have yet to set it up. Fiona

Helen

Helen Report 19 Oct 2003 12:17

Glad to hear I'm not the only one - I bought an index box with cards months ago but it is stored away in a cupboard gathering dust! Just wondered if this is the easiest system or do others get on easier with an alternative!

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 19 Oct 2003 13:24

I also use a folder with plastic wallets. I use the Family Record sheets from the free CD from the 3rd edition of Your Family Tree, but there are also some good forms to download free on FamilySearch and Ancestry. Maggy

Samantha

Samantha Report 19 Oct 2003 14:36

Hi Helen, I too have bought an index card box and not got round to using it! A friend did give me a copy of one he did which was really good but I'm too embarrassed to tell him I lost it! (I'm sure its somewhere amongst this huge pile of paper!) I look forward to seeing what tips you get on this thread. Sam xx

Helen

Helen Report 19 Oct 2003 15:02

Hi Sam You did make me chuckle - I just hope your friend isn't a member of this site or he will soon know your predicament! I have actually just ordered the booklet containing a set of 11 master forms to photocopy as recommended in Organising your records in the G.C. Resource Centre. Can't go wrong for £2.50 - just hope and pray that when it arrives it prompts me to get motivated and does not get filed away with index box and cards!! Helen x

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 19 Oct 2003 16:24

Helen I can only suggest that you use whichever system suits you best. But do bear in mind that you need a system which can cope with your research as it grows. I started off in a similar manner to you but, after 7 years, have had to resort to a four-drawer filing cabinet with files for each individual for whom I have certificates and other documents. It took a tremendous amount of effort to re-vamp my system!! And all of that is in addition to what I have on the computer. David

Helen

Helen Report 19 Oct 2003 16:42

Many thanks David, though I am a little worried now. My new found hobby has taken over my life as it is! By the sounds of it, it will be taking over our home too!! Don't know if hubby would be too impressed with my very own filing cabinet - maybe put it on next years Xmas list if my research expands!!