Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone live in Trimdon, County Durham.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kay

Kay Report 19 Oct 2003 13:34

...that could maybe answer my question??? On the 1881 census my GG Grandfather George Clark is listed with his family on Salters Lane in Trimdon. His father Alexander was an Inn Keeper and I am curious to know if anyone out there knows of any pubs on Salters Lane that have been around since the 1880's. Must be in my blood as I used to work for a Brewery and then a Wine Merchant. Thanks in advance for any help Kay

Thomas

Thomas Report 19 Oct 2003 13:54

Hi Kay, the only pub named onSalters lane is the Grange Inn,licensee is Thos Rowntree.Try looking for your rel in trade directories, his pub could have been at a different address. Try historicaldirectories.org Regards Tony.

Andy

Andy Report 19 Oct 2003 13:59

Kay, I sort of know the area as my dad used to work in Sedgefield, funnily enough on Salters Lane. The only one I can think of is the Bird In Hand pub, which is on Salters Lane in Trimdon. However, I don't know its history, so can't help you there. The Pubs Index may help: http://www(.)pubsindex(.)freeserve(.)co(.)uk Andy

Kay

Kay Report 19 Oct 2003 14:25

Tony & Andy Thanks a lot, it's somewhere to start Kay

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 19 Oct 2003 14:43

Also try the Dovecot? Good luck with your search, I am also researching in Durham and funnily enough a George Clark, who had daughters Ruby, Peggy and Mavis. Liz

Kay

Kay Report 19 Oct 2003 17:38

Thanks Liz.....you never know 'our' Georges could be related!!