Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 decoder

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 19 Oct 2003 13:57

Hi there, I am having problems connecting with the 1901 decoder, My nortons firewall keeps popping up giving me a warning and when i say permit, I eventually get a page saying Unavailable. Is this me or someting to do with the firewall. Also I have been reading the Freebmd probs. Can I ask if those with problems are Broadband or dialup. I had no problems until i came onto Broadband. Thanks Barbara.

Carol

Carol Report 19 Oct 2003 14:06

I downloaded the decoder and installed it. Had a look at it, but couldnt see the point of it, so uninstalled it again and deleted it from my computer. Maybe I am missing something.

Kate

Kate Report 19 Oct 2003 14:12

I downloaded and installed the decoder and find it very helpful , Sorry i can't help you with your problem Barbara,,but sure someone will be able to very soon Kate

Barbara

Barbara Report 19 Oct 2003 14:12

Barbara can't help sorry. Carol, its a great tool! You can do a search for a particular name and then process the search. Then go back and try another person you belive to be in that family again all the entries pop up so you hit process search. Then when you ahve done more fmaily members you hit 'show results', you can sort the entries by number which will often show groups of family together which makes it an awful lot easier to find your family. Thats an incredibly potted view of how it works, but I have found it to be a huge bonus. It frequently savess purchasing views that turn out to to be the people you are after. Barbara

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 19 Oct 2003 14:14

Hi Barbara When I was using Norton, I was using a dial-up connection.

Kate

Kate Report 19 Oct 2003 15:06

Just a little nudge to try and help Barbara

Barbara

Barbara Report 19 Oct 2003 16:01

nudge

Margaret

Margaret Report 19 Oct 2003 16:34

I'm on broadband and not having any problems with the decoder. FreeBMD: you have to configure Norton Firewall to allow access to the site. I posted this earlier in the week on another thread. I might not explain this very well, but here goes. You can always check in your Norton handbook. Double click on the norton icon.at the top it says Options. click on that and then internet security. click the web content tab at the top. click on add site, at the bottom. add the address for freebmd without the http\\ bit and don't put any back slashes on it either. highlight the address when you have added it and on the global settings tab, on the second one down, information about visited sites, click permit. click ok. that should work. I had to do this and I found the info on the symantec website. but, I can't find it now. As I said it's in the manual I would think. Just one thing, I have Norton Security 2003. I don't know if all versions are the same, but they can't differ much Margaret

Barbara

Barbara Report 19 Oct 2003 17:38

Margaret, Thank you SO much. With a bit of perserverance and following your instructions I have managed to sort out the Norton/Freebmd problem. Now I can resume my searching. I used freebmd before and didnt have a problem. Have they done something to their site I wonder. Once again many thanks. Barbara.

Crista

Crista Report 19 Oct 2003 19:48

Antonia, www.censusdecoder(.)com Crista