Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 19 Oct 2003 15:04

Can anyone help me trace my GGrandfather. He married in Dover in 1885. Had a son Sidney 13/11/1891, but I can't find them in the 2001 census at all. they lived at 12 Alma Street Canturbury in 1891 and the names were William and Minnie Adkin. I can't send for his birth certificate until I know roughly what year he was born. Thanks Paul

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 19 Oct 2003 15:05

What 2001 census?

Carol

Carol Report 19 Oct 2003 15:10

I think he means 1901 Claire

Paul

Paul Report 19 Oct 2003 15:12

Sorry I meant 1901!!

Carol

Carol Report 19 Oct 2003 15:16

I have just searched for Adkin in Kent and only 6 returned. Most are living in Crayford and one in Belvedere, but none are the names William or Minnie. Was Canterbury in another county then?

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 19 Oct 2003 15:17

Thank goodness,,,I thought I was missing out there...lol

Carol

Carol Report 19 Oct 2003 15:29

There are 2 districts that have not been indexed yet, but I cant find them on there either

Paul

Paul Report 19 Oct 2003 15:33

Thanks Carol I wondered if some of the census records were missing for this area. I think the family may have ended up in London as their son Sidney did marry a Londoner. I have Sidney's birth certificate here and the details are as I said. What date was the census done. perhaps they somehow missed it. Paul

Carol

Carol Report 19 Oct 2003 15:39

The census was taken 5th April 1891 so Sidney would not be on there. Only just conceived

Paul

Paul Report 19 Oct 2003 15:39

Carol William's occupation on the birth certificate is a Barrack Labourer

Carol

Carol Report 19 Oct 2003 15:47

There were a couple of unindexed sheets in Doverm but not there either

Paul

Paul Report 19 Oct 2003 16:02

Well I'm stuck then Carol. Sidney wasn't born until November so perhaps they lived somewhere else. I assumed they were still in Kent as they wre married in Dover and had their child in Canterbury. Even if I couldn't find William I thought I'd find his wife with a name like Minnie Eliza May!!!! Thaks for trying Paul