Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GREAT GRANDAD HELP!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hayley

Hayley Report 21 Oct 2003 14:06

Im trying to find out about my greatgrandad on my dads side but ive hit a dead end because no one knows his age, i know his sons were: Arthur (1904) George (1906) Ned, Harry and daughter Edith, how can i find out about Harry Olliver my great grandad? He was from Worthing.

Hayley

Hayley Report 21 Oct 2003 14:11

I thought about going to the library and looking at a census, but will it have my dads uncles listed on it, otherwise how will i know its really him?

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 Oct 2003 14:16

Also on 1881 census there is a Harry Oliver age 14 born Worthing, sussex. Father Edwin, mother Ann and lots of brothers and sisters. Jeanette

Hayley

Hayley Report 21 Oct 2003 14:18

Havent got a clue, all i know is that they were from Worthing, i asked my dad and he said you didnt ask your parents questions about their family in those days (crazy!!). George Earnest Olliver married Charlotte Mary Duke, and i cant find anything out about her either! i thought this would be easy, how wrong i was!!

Hayley

Hayley Report 21 Oct 2003 14:21

How are you finding this information out about the census, are you the library?

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 Oct 2003 14:23

Hayaly I'm on Family Search (see links on the left of this page). Just found another Harry age 4 on 1881 census father Wuilliam mother Charlotte born Hastings, Sussex

Hayley

Hayley Report 21 Oct 2003 14:27

I cant see family search on the left, also whats freebmd? im not completely stupid, just new at this! i know charlotte duke had sisters called Alice and Margaret.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 Oct 2003 14:29

Hayley The site is www(.)familysearch(.)org - don't forget to take out the brackets. E-mail me if you like Jeanette:-)

Hayley

Hayley Report 21 Oct 2003 14:37

That freebmd site is great i just found the year my dads auntie was born, how can i be sure it is her though? I will look at the family search thing and let you know how i get on. Thank you so much for helping, really appreciate it!!

Sandra

Sandra Report 21 Oct 2003 14:44

hayley trying to do hubbys tree. His father, too, says they were not encouraged to ask questions about family members. They could not even tell me g.father or g.g.fathers ages!

Hayley

Hayley Report 21 Oct 2003 14:47

Just from that freebmd site i have found out the birth year of Arthur, Harry Jnr and Edith, but cant find Ned, do you think it could be spelt different in those days. I find it bizarre that they didnt ask questions, i couldnt imagine that!

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 Oct 2003 14:48

Hayley Welcome to GC. As Lesley said there's loads of lovely people on here so don't be afraid to ask. Good luck with your hunting. Jeanette

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 Oct 2003 14:49

Could Ned be short for anything?

Hayley

Hayley Report 21 Oct 2003 14:51

not sure, ive been racking my brains (not much there anyway!) but cant think it seems weird they are all there but him, also to find out about the dad (harry snr) and their mum will i have to buy their birth certificates?

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 Oct 2003 14:56

If you buy Harrys (jnr) birth cert it will tell you where and when he was born, his fathers name and occupation and also his mothers maiden name. All very useful for going back further Jeanette

Belle56

Belle56 Report 21 Oct 2003 14:56

There used to be a Ned down my street years ago, and his real name was David. Hope this helps. April :-)

Diane

Diane Report 21 Oct 2003 14:58

Janette....... Ned maybe short for Edward.......... Diane..............

Hayley

Hayley Report 21 Oct 2003 14:59

Cheers April will try David. Is there away i can get around buying a birth certificate, if i went to the library and loked at the census it wuoldnt tell me anything would it?

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 Oct 2003 15:03

All census' should list everyone present in the house at the time the census was taken. so provided they hadn't gone off to see relatives all brothers and sisters born at the time should be there Jeanette

Hayley

Hayley Report 21 Oct 2003 15:07

brilliant thanks!